MIT AI Companion is not working

Issues I've experienced:

1. Progress bar stops at 50, 75, 90 percent.
  2. Progress bar won't appear sometimes.
  3. Project won't appear in the companion.

Things I've done with no success:

1. Deleted and reinstalled the app on my phone.
  2. Tested with a simple project (1 image).
  3. Restarted my laptop and phone.

The longest I waited for it was 20 mins. The companion was working just fine yesterday when I was working on a project with 1 image, 5 texts, 2 buttons and 1 mp4 which can be considered a big/complex project. I found out it had stopped working when I tested with a new project that only had 1 image. I'm using IOS.

I only see you complaining, but nothing useful for debugging.
What did you do? any error?

1 Like

I just didn't want to be redundant if I repeat what others have said.

Issues I've experienced:

1. Progress bar stops at 50, 75, 90 percent.
  2. Progress bar won't appear sometimes.
  3. Project won't appear in the companion.

Things I've done with no success:

1. Deleted and reinstalled the app on my phone.
  2. Tested with a simple project (1 image).
  3. Restarted my laptop and phone.

The longest I waited for it was 20 mins. The companion was working just fine yesterday when I was working on a project with 1 image, 5 texts, 2 buttons and 1 mp4 which can be considered a big/complex project. I found out it had stopped working when I tested with a new project that only had 1 image. I'm using IOS.

How should the developers know what to fix if it is not clear what is happening? Why not post an aia that has this problem according to you.

I for one don't experience a problem with the companion.

One of the simples questions to answer. Are you using Android or iPhone?

1 Like

Hello user.

It really depends on the following factors.

• What is the actual size of that image? App Inventor assets can only tolerate 5 MB each, and 30 MB in total.

• One of my largest projects with 100 components on each screen, 7 screens and 30 assets (total 2 MB) didn't experience an issue (although it stopped at 48 percent for a few seconds then quickly resumed). Also check your network connection.

• If you are using the iOS companion, you must connect your device to the same network to your computer.

2 Likes

Updated my post! Sorry about that.

Hi.

1. Each image I use is usually around 90-120 KB and the mp4 was 1.1 MB.
  2. Mine would stop at 50, 75, and 90 percent. The longest I've waited for it was 20 mins. No success either. I'm near the wifi router and the wifi speed is 61 Mbps. It had just stormed a few days ago where I'm from so that might've impacted my network connection.
  3. Yes, I'm using the iOS companion and I also have my device connected to the same network as my computer.

i have the same issue here. My loading bar is stuck at 83 % and wont progress.

Welcome,

Then you get all the same advice as the OP. :wink:

Give more information about your project.

Hi!
I have the same problem in my classroom. All android phones of my students are connected with AI Companion but none of my students with iphone (except one who can test the app). We are developing the same app using Google Chrome over Ubuntu LTSP 20.04.
Android OK, iphone not OK.
We are using 2 small png images, 2 .mp3 sound files, 1 wav. sound file, touch screen and accelerometer.

Welcome Nikos.

Same problem? Loading stuck or other issues? Many ios issues are discussed in this thread. Which do you observe?

The issue with ios might be using the accelerometer on ios since Android devices are fine. This may be a bug (not yet fixed)

Remove the accelerometer from the ios version and see if the app loads. Also this could be the 1 wav. sound file,

Steve thanks for your speedy response!
The problem is that the progress bar stops to 90%.
I'll test accelerometer or wav and I'll post my response.
Thanks again.

If the progress bar is getting stuck, this is before the code is transferred to the phone (assets must come before code since the code may reference assets). Usually if the assets cannot be transferred, it is because the network is blocking the connection between the computer and the phone.

You may want to share this document with your school IT to make sure that the network is configured correctly for App Inventor.