MindStorm EV3 or NXT are no longer for sale

Hi community,
I think Lego doesn't create anymore Mindstorm EV3. It doesn't exist in their officiel web site. See here: https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/mindstorms

My question is: Does the latest version of lego MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor 51515 (only one which is exist in the web site of the lego) work with appinventor?

I would like to buy it if i can control this robot via appinventor.
Thanks to all :wink:

1 Like

The new MINDSTORMS Robot Inventor Kit comes with a Programming Language much more similar to that of Blockly. I don't think integration for it has come just yet.

Although Lego provide their own App, I don't think that necessarily prevents the use of an SDK by App Inventor, but:

LEGO Education will discontinue the entire LEGO Mindstorms Education EV3 product line on June, 30 2021 .

.... and regarding the replacement of EV3, the Robot Invention Kit:

If you can dream it, you can code it
The app supports two coding languages, depending on your level of proficiency. The first is a coding language based on Scratch, which utilises a colourful drag-and-drop canvas, with each code block grouped into toolbox categories, perfect for newcomers to coding. Once you've mastered that (or if you're already an advanced coder) you can move onto the text-based, Python language, utilised by some of the world's most popular applications.

..... that's a huge surprise!

So the question is, does the latest LEGO system, the Robot Inventor kit, have a similar
SDK as was made available for EV3? I have put this question to LEGO via their technical support.

1 Like

Well, LEGO have got back to me and the news is not so great:

I'm sorry to say we don't have a developer's kit like the MINDSTORMS EV3. The closest we have is the API documentation for microPython https://lego.github.io/MINDSTORMS-Robot-Inventor-hub-API/ The 51515 was not developed under an open license agreement and some of the technology used is proprietary. Last we heard, the Robot Inventor team does not have any plans to release a developer's kit.

It might be that MIT can define a module that uses LEGO's microPython, I don't know. It's such a shame that EV3 was not built upon instead of being replaced.

So, that means new Lego robots are not compatible with app inventor any more. It's really sad to hear that. Thanks @NishyanthKumar et @ChrisWard.

... I think it's sad that they are not compatible with the EV3 components too. As it stands, if you want to build something other than the five LEGO designs, you are going to have to do it with the kit parts - or buy another whole kit.

1 Like