Lists and variables are confused?

Okay so when i interact with a list another list also gets changed and it’s messing up alot of things. I have no idea why it’s happening and I’ve checked the code a bunch of times but I can’t find out why it’s happening. When I change the list of speakers and the variable speakers, the variable present members is also changed and so is the list. Here’s the code ( open the image for the whole thing!

Everything works perfectly fine until I get the vote section. It’s where I first noticed the problem and apparently it starts from before…

It would really help if you provided a screenshot of your relevant blocks only… sorry, I do not have the time to take a look at the complete project…

To get an image of your blocks, right click in the Blocks Editor and select “Download Blocks as Image”. You might want to use an image editor to crop etc. if required. Then post it here in the community.


Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Theyre right around the middle… The thing is it is all connected so I can’t really split it into parts since the problem can be coming from any part.

It starts from select reunion after picking and downwards

Hello! I’m back and I’ve tried to remove as many blocks (editor) keeping the only ones concerned with the error. I hope this helps. I also added a small note. I hope you can help me with this problem.

Here’s an organized version. Someone suggested it. Still waiting for your reply

You have two calls to read a file “members” (no slashes) so…

If a fileName does not start with a slash, it will be read from the application’s private storage (for packaged apps) and from /sdcard/AppInventor/data for the Companion.


However, there is no when File gotText block anywhere to handle the call to the file…?

What is going on there ?

Also, organise your blocks in a logical vetical order, then right click on the blocks editor and select Download Blocks as Image, that will make things much tidier and easier to follow

Okay... I'll reorder them in a sec. Also is there a problem with it saving without a slash?
There is a block when File gotText but I removed it (edited it out) to clean things up. The full block list is at the top. I'll organize all the blocks and send them.

Well reading the file was relevant, so why not show what happened after you read it ? :wink:

Your topic title is very apt :wink:

(made a new comment because the image wasn’t visible)
Okay but wow finally after more than 1 hour of sorting out stuff I think I put it in the best form possible. I was going to just smack them vertically but then thought I should make a sort of map. Since there are multiple actions that can happen at the same time in no specific order I decided to put them side by side.Note: Some blocks go back to older blocks. They should be easy to find though!


Please arrange your Blocks in order of process flow as much as you can, starting with right mouse “Clean up Blocks.”

Edit: … Also, rename your components as I mentioned before! I think you will probably find the fault yourself when you do this.

To make a decent, scalable image of the blocks, right-mouse “Download Blocks as Image”

This is litterally the best way to put it. Like a tree. The order of the events is from the top to the bottom and every action that has a result will have it right under it. I hope it's clear


We can’t read them - not zoomable. Did you use the App Inventor method of image capture?

Well, can actually read them on download but have to use MS Paint.

Having to scroll up-down and left-right makes your Blocks very difficult to follow, so no I don’t believe your tree will bear fruit :grin: Given that you can’t find the fault, I rest my case on that one. It’s usually a good idea to have all the global vars together too.

You also have un-attached blocks and unidentified blocks.

Add a “when Screen1 Error Occurred” block and set it’s message to a Label or Notifier.

… you could upload you Project file for a Power User to check. That won’t be me I’m afraid.

I thought it’s the best option since they were pretty much seperate codes but I’ll keep in in mind for the next one :pensive:also for the zoom in you can just right-click open image in new tab and it’ll let you zoom. The resltion is a bit too high. anyways I wanted the variables to show when they’ll start getting used. That’s why I didn’t put them all at first. As for the unattached blocks I’m going to use them later on and when using the emulator often need them.
And yes I am renaming the variables xd but rest assured they aren’t the problem. I can try and give you a screenshot of the component and editor if you want tomorrow

Oh :frowning: is there a problem? I’m afraid if it’s not you then I’ll have to wait another month before trying to get help somehow… Last time didn’t go so well.

I’m not here for the next day or so.

The point about component naming/variable naming is that it will help us understand your code - for example, when you set a variable with a List, if both were properly named, we could see what was happening - or what will not happen.

Post an exported .aia file, and a link to the doc where you explain the app structure.
For examples of explanations of app structure, see my collection …

Here is the file. I honestly couldn’t make a document about it I’m really sorry I felt so overwhelmed. But I did leave comments from top to bottom and I really hope they help. I’m so grateful for your help and I hope you can assist me with this problem.
ICGReunionManager (1).aia (22.8 KB)