Issue/Bug Reporting regarding the layout phone and resolution - solved

Hi guys
I have seen an similar problem already listed but i noticed that the conversation did not went well.
I would like to point a fact, that the layout is not showing a full page, instead for example when you create full page app, there is no option either to show or scroll down to see what we actually doing. My work around to this is to temporary switch the visibility of the arrangement but this really should not be like that.
I understand more experienced users may not see this as a problem, but beginners and students like all of us that started with this platform, do find this very frustrating and put people off the project.
There was an option by someone else to add custom screen scaling which wasn`t very welcome by comentator.
I hope that there is a way around this to make the interface more user friendly. I have attached 2 screens to compare ready app on the phone and on the web interface with hope to clarify my message

Thanks
Kris

Change Sizing to from Fixed to Responsive

No Disrespect, this not an solution to a wide problem.
My screen is set to responsive and to phone size, please keep in mind, that we do not talking about the “final app” but we talking about the developing process.
Please ask for more clarification before you submit solution which does not exist. Also your screenshot is not even half page on the web layout. Again, web interface is what we talking about. NOT end device.

Here is a response from @SteveJG on the old forum:

Developers will never get exactly the layout that is shown using Companion. MIT indicates what you see on the Companion is an approximation.

Theme
Selects the theme for the application. Theme can only be set at compile time and the Companion will approximate changes during live development. Possible options are Classic, which is the same as older versions of App Inventor; Device Default, which gives the same theme as the version of Android running on the device and uses PrimaryColor for the ActionBar and has light buttons; Black Title Text, which is the Device Default theme but with black title text, and Dark, which is a dark version of the Device Default theme using PrimaryColorDark and having dark grey components.

To check the actual screen appearance, a developer has to build the apk or run the app on a simulator that can demonstrate performance on different Android operating systems. Themes appear different on various device screens dependent on the operating system in use on the device.

Users will never get the exact screen that displays in the Designer, what the Designer shows too is only an ‘approximation’. If you need more control of your screen, consider using a professional Android compiler like Android Studio. It allows more control of the final app displays but is more complex.

Whether a device produces round check boxes or square check boxes is dependent on the operating system the app is displayed on. If you use Classic Theme, which is unique to App Inventor 2, and compile using the Legacy build, you will get ‘consistent’ results among devices with different operating systems. However, Classic Theme is being deprecated…because the ‘theme;’ is not really supported in API26 utilities which MIT has to use instead of the libraries they can use to construct the Legacy builds… To get more or less ‘constant’ results, use the Legacy build perhaps; but then you cannot post the apk to GooglePlay.

Also note:
Sizing (designer only)
If set to fixed, screen layouts will be created for a single fixed-size screen and autoscaled. If set to responsive, screen layouts will use the actual resolution of the device. See the documentation on responsive design in App Inventor for more information. This property appears on Screen1 only and controls the sizing for all screens in the app.

which will also affect your screen appearance.

Tim, thanks for that.
However, this still does not sort the issue on rough component placing during layout design. You simply don’t see component which is there and placing anything under is another frustrating task.
Why not to throw away that shrunk screen you see now and make it full page only just for reference. Then when compiled for device you check where you need to adjust. Sorry the current layout design really don’t make any reasonable sense and I don’t understand why you or other try to defend what is there currently over the time.
The

App Inventor 2 provides an option for a large screen as shown earlier in this discussion

Use the monitor size development screen if you need it (you have to set ScreenSizing to Responsive.

You have options. Development with this educational compiler. It is not wysiwyg. There is a reason AI2 Developers have an easier time coding than those using the professional compilers. To get that the developers had to make compromises..one of those was to use a simplified development system.

If you need wysiwyg, consider using the professional Android Studio, B4A or Delphi Community Edition . You will be considerably happier making your UI possibly, but might struggle creating the code.

Best wishes,
Steve

Post a (test) aia, which shows how and with what properties the elements and arrangements were placed in the Designer (Vertical / Horizontal Arrangements, Properties: Hight etc). @mOSkit

Ok guys, we not going anywhere with my query. You posting solutions that are completely out of scope.
Regardless to monitor,tablet,phone I still don’t see anything under the red central X button. This topic is not around asking for solution. Is for the platform owner to consider implementing full screen design layout.

Did you try ticking Scrollable on Screen1 properties?

So where's the problem of posting an aia that may enable us to better understand your opaque problems / comments.

Because we not talking about an aia or app deployed. we talking about the www web interface where you design.

You don`t want to say that its that simple then :slight_smile:
This sorted my the web interface problem.

Everyone here understood you in this regard.
But everyone who answered you here has a lot of experience with AI2 and has been creating apps for many years. If your problem were so virulent, the topic would have been discussed in the forum long ago.

So you are most likely the only one who has this problem or cannot describe it precisely.

1 Like

... and of course we are talking about an aia, namely yours.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.