Is there a way to send a text message not from your phone number?

I have installed many apps that have an option where you can send a text message from another number not your own. Is it possible to do that in mit app inventor?

I am creating an app where I want to be able to send an sms message to a friend of mine though come up as a different number in their phone. Is this possible to do?

Hello Christian

Why would you want to do that? Do you aim to create phishing/malware?

Nope I think he wants something like a OTP sender via SMS.
Am I right @TadachiiDeveloper

1 Like

Well that's not very clever is it? Can be used maliciously too. There is no way App Inventor should be encouraging this abuse.

use a RESTful web service of your choice to send an SMS via the web component, for example Twilio

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

This is a legitimate question for a legitimate issue that I am looking to solve.

I'm afraid I do not know what a RESTful web service is, is there a way to create a phone number separate from my actual phone number for the app that I am trying to make?

For example: The app messages someone with a set phone number

If I message the same person my phone number will create a different set of messages, as of right now I currently have it set to my phone number sends messages to the users though I would like for it to not be my phone number.

Is that what you shared with me? I'm sorry if it is I don't understand any of that haha

1 Like

Is there an extension for this in Mit's App Inventor 2? I checked out the one Taifun dropped however it wanted me to write lines of code.

Then you can spell-out what the legitimate issue is?

I'm making an app where a group of people come together as friends, co-workers etc.

The app sends everyone an assigned role through a text message. Nobody wants to know who has what role and the app I have so far uses my own personal phone number to send the messages which means I can go through all of the messages that the app sent, using my number and see everyone's role.

I am trying to find a way to create an alternate phone number, unique to the app, that the app uses to send the messages. By doing this, in theory, I will not have the message history and therefore I will not be able to find out who has what role.

The way the app is set up, whoever enters the names and phone numbers of each participant, the app sends a message under their number and they can see everyone's role.

I am trying to make this completely anonymous within the group of people. I was wondering if there was an extension for this though I am doubtful that there is.

There is no extension to spoof sending a text message from a number other than one belonging to you.

The practice is variously illegal or illegal depending on circumstances in most countries. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing the practice is illegal in the U.K. and India and generally not legal in the United States ( if there is intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value).

1 Like

That's what I thought, I had assumed there was something out there because I found an app on the google play store which allows you to use a phone number, not your own, to send people text messages.

Nobody knows it's you.

no, just use the web component
How to work with the web component and an API by Stephen
Taifun

Yes, I had to research what that was in order to understand however I think that is exactly what i am looking for! I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond, I just saw this. I found this image on google which is, in a way, sort of what I am looking for.

The image is sort of like a bot number however the number comes from the app instead of a subscription. Once the user presses a button they receive a text message from the app however the way I have it set up right now it uses the phone number of whoever presses the button to send the messages.

(I don't need it to be a subscription just a text message each time they push a button)

Is there an extension for an OPT number via sms?

No I think this is very clever, this is exactly what I am looking for. If I am correct the app or subscription has it's own personal number in which it can respond to it's users, all I need is a phone number unique to the app that can send it's user's messages when they press a button.

I don't know much about this so please feel free to let me know if I am mistaken.

you can find the extensions directory here App Inventor Extensions | Pura Vida Apps

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

i know it i know that extention here is the link

How did you make it so that u could send messages? I can’t figure out how to text someone even using your own phone number