Ideas for App Inventor 2 Anti-Awards

The Hacker™ (pls dont sue me oracle) Award

This award is dedicated to those who post "solutions" consisting of faulty code that in no way should work; yet claims that it does for them.

9 Likes

Web Users Award

For those who create apps only with web viewer by copying the website and claiming that they have worked super-hard on the app

4 Likes

Box

The award goes to users who are unable to think outside the box, and who can only find problems, not solutions...

12 Likes

Although an amusing idea, isn't there already enough public shaming on the internet? A better strategy might be to have a quiet chat with the "offending" person explaining the problem. Keep the awards for positive stuff!

1 Like

My intention for introducing the anti-awards was to list things that people should not do in their projects, so they know to avoid disaster deep into their projects.

I have seen some confessions in this thread, but no naming of names yet.

Good mistakes should not go to waste.

We are all here to learn from our own mistakes and others' mistakes.

I have not seen any personal attributes referenced in this thread, and hope not to see such.

5 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate your intent and welcome your promise not to single out individuals. I would hope that any such posts are removed.

You used the Ignoble Prize as a model. The Ignoble Price is to someone specific, for something specific. (Wikipedia lists them all.) Following your analogy, I assumed that was what you were proposing, which in my opinion, might have the effect of preventing possibly interesting apps from ever reaching the Gallery.

Perhaps it would be more productive to put it in a list, "you're a ___ if ___" format.
For example: You're a "Wheedlie" if:
You write the "longest thread without any sign of effort to learn anything, but only to wheedle a Power User into writing their app for them."

Anyway, it's just a thought ...

2 Likes

Zombie Developers :zombie:

Zomies are half-alive and half-dead creatures.

This award goes to those extension developers who develops extensions that works on half android versions and half not !

Extension developer can be called as - Zombie Developer !!
Extension can be called as - Zombie Extension !!
:rofl:

5 Likes

The Cheetah Award

This award goes to those who are always in the hurry to receive answers for their problems in the community !

4 Likes

Isn't the last one german @Gordon_Lu ?? #off-topic

The Sheep Walk Award

For those who simply copy the extensions and apps made by others, and that too not by building them but just downloading the .aia file and adding it to the app inventor .

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

The "Sergio Pérez" Award

You may attain this award when your app breaks down unanticipatedly at the final stage, despite having run seamlessly before.
This award was inspired by the 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix, where Red Bull-Oracle Racing's driver Sergio Pérez's engine seized up on the final lap, causing him to retire.

6 Likes

That's because TIMAI2's a moderator. In this specific instance, he's edited your post to make it more legible.

3 Likes

Algae

Algae Award

Image link

https://www.google.com/search?q=algae+images&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiR9LCv3P_2AhWDR2wGHRgRDdIQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ#imgrc=8LK2pakgMaXfkM

Introduction

Algae is a autotrophic organism. The things mentioned here are mostly about autotrophic organisms, but, the term algae is used to make it an anti-award, else if, the term autotrophic was used, it would be rather an award instead of an anti-award.

Description

The one who marks his own reply as solution to his own post, even if it was not the actual solution.

Any doubts about why I'm making this `anti-award` ?

This is because I know such people in the MIT AI2 Community.

Will not be mentioning.

Criteria
  • At least 15 solution markings to your own topics.
  • All the solution markings to your own posts should have such solutions that aren't solutions actually, i.e., they'd not be correct solutions.
  • Atleast 5 solutions should be off-topic.

#off-topic About the number of edits.

I've edited this so many times and so much to provide the best content possible, including fixing some typos.

Have you seen such people in the
MIT AI2 Community ?
( Don't mention )
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

Jeremiah Carlton Award

Image link

https://www.google.com/search?q=person+sleeping+in+bed+emoji&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjDipzG5__2AhXDTmwGHRknD3UQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=360&bih=512&dpr=2#imgrc=KZ7IumGOKtmrcM

Introduction

Jeremiah Carlton is believed to be the laziest person in the world. Please see the Reference section for more info.

Reference

The laziest man in the world.

Summary

This award will be given to the people who are too lazy to press the search option and search the topic about which they have a doubt, before creating a whole new topic, which is actually not new.

Exception (or rather an `Excuse` for some.)

This award is not given to people who didn't notice the topic under the search feature.

Criteria
  • Has to make atleast 25 so called "new" topics, which were already solved before.
  • Has to let the TL3 and TL4 members waste their time to find the answers for the users by using the easy-to-use search feature (which they could've used themselves, but who cares ?), in atleast 20 so called "new" topics.
  • Shouldn't mark the solutions in any of the solutions provided by the TL3 and TL4 members.
  • Should've previously earned the FEB29 award before trying to get this badge.
  • Should've not replied to any other's post for atleast 5 days.
  • Should've atleast Used the Exception as an Excuse 15 times in their posts.

More info

I and many other people have seen such people in this community.

Have you seen such people in the
MIT App Inventor Community ?
Don't mention that person.
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

The Vanishing Cream Cup Award

Questions usually get answers/solutions within minutes on the community. Some users ask a question, and then completely disappear for weeks/months/longer, before returning to either ask another question or say thank you for the solution.

I somewhat admire this relaxed attitude to app development :wink:

10 Likes

I saw five such people just today, for three of them, I provided the Solution to their problem, they saw it, but they didn't mark it, other two, just created the topic, and have vanished.

2 Likes

Dupli-can't

The award for developers who follow a guide or tutorial, but seem unable to perform the simple activity of copying the blocks correctly, then say it doesn't work.

11 Likes

GRAND PRIZE "THE SCREAM"!!!

grito

FOR THOSE USERS WHO WRITE EVERYTHING IN CAPITAL LETTERS.
THE TIME THAT A POWER USER PUTS IT IN LOWERCASE WILL BE VALUED.

8 Likes

"Shakespeare in Love" Award.

For those of us who write badly in English, even using Google Translator.

6 Likes