How do I create a keyboard?

I want to create a digital keyboard with App inventor 2. This keyboard should not only appear in the application, but also allow me to type in the typebox in other applications. Is there a extension or a way to do that?

No, it can't be an App if it is to work with other Apps too. You will need to create it as an Android Background Service and it's best to use Android Studio for that (using Java or Kotlin).

1 Like

Actually no.
You need to create layout with XML and then inflate that using Keyboard service.
This is not possible however.

1 Like

Well, let me tell you what extension I should have in mind. A special screen will be created for the keyboard that will appear on the screen. The screen's title will be removed and there will be no background color. We will place the buttons at the bottom of the screen. Active post will have us insert letters where typed and many necessary command blocks.
An extension like this would work for me. I don't want it to be like this, I just want to create a keyboard. Thanks for reading this article to the end. :slight_smile:

unfortunately not possible using App Inventor or one of its distributions

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

1 Like

Well, Ai2, I know that's not possible, thank you. Is it possible for me to fulfill my request on Thunkable and similar platforms? Now I'm going to sit down and learn coding language? :confused:

It's not possible, they are all designed to create Apps only.

Learning Java or Kotlin isn't so difficult. There are many tutorials and examples online. I would stick with the materials offered by Android Studio, given that it's directly related to Android. You could pose your question on the Android Studio forum.

2 Likes

There are lots of interesting customizable keyboards in the Play Store.
Why reinvent the wheel?

1 Like

I have developed an application where I can only talk to encrypted texts among my friends. The articles written in the application turn into writings that seem to be other meaningless. The other feature returns encrypted type to its normal state. In order to do this without having to go to the application, it made sense to be able to write from the keyboard and translate it from the keyboard again. Another reason is to create a keyboard with minecraft enchancment table alphabet. I just want to do this app for a friend. (I'm sorry if there's a typo. I wrote it all from the translator) :slightly_smiling_face:

...but what you could do is have your keyboard and the text send-receive in your App, and your group of friends have the same App.

Thank you :smiley: I already have my application with my friends