GSoC 2024 Inquiry: AI components for Android and iOS

Hi everyone, I hope you are having a wonderful day! My name is Jiwon Choi, a third-year student at the University of Toronto, pursuing a double major in Mathematical Sciences and Applied Statistics with a minor in Computer Science. I recently came across the "AI Components for Android and iOS" project listed for the Google Summer of Code 2024 and am very excited about the opportunity to contribute to re-implementing core App Inventor components across both platforms.

I am very passionate about AI/machine learning and data science, and I have some experience with these including training a facial expression recognition machine learning model achieving an impressive accuracy of over 86%. This experience has not only deepened my understanding of machine learning algorithms but also enriched my skills in data analysis and manipulation, areas that are crucial for the successful development of AI components for App Inventor.

In addition to this, I have experience in developing mobile applications for both Android and iOS platforms. Notably, my participation in an IEEE hackathon led to the development of a camera application using the CameraX API. Furthermore, I am actively involved in developing an iOS application as a co-founder aimed at connecting university students, with a planned launch this summer. These experiences have provided me with a comprehensive understanding of mobile app development, from conceptualization to deployment, making me well-prepared to tackle the challenges of implementing AI components across Android and iOS platforms.

I am particularly drawn to the technical challenge and the potential impact of making advanced AI and data science features accessible across both Android and iOS platforms. I am eager to leverage my background in data analysis, machine learning, and mobile app development to contribute to the App Inventor's mission.

With my background and interests, I am very interested in the project 'AI Components for Android and iOS' and am keen to learn more about the project's specific requirements, and milestones, and how I can best prepare to contribute effectively.

1. I have been looking around linked GitHub, and Google Docs, and am wondering if my skill sets and experience might be enough for the standard you are looking for, also if there are preferred technologies or frameworks, aside from Swift and Java, that you recommend for developing these components.

2. What are the most significant technical challenges you foresee in re-implementing these components for both Android and iOS?

3. How do the existing Android-only extensions differ from the envisioned core components for both Android and iOS in terms of functionality and integration?

Or any other tips, or recommendations about the application process would be a great help to me. Thank you!

1 Like