Gregorian To Bangla Date Converter

this app converts a gregorian date to a banga date. i tried to follow the rules used by https://bangla.plus/calendar. if you consider our gregorian year as a ring with 365 tick marks around it, the bangla year can be imagined as a concentric ring with the same number ticks around it - but displaced by enough ticks such that the bangla year always starts with april 14 of the gregorian year. the number of days in the months of the bangla year is not the same as in the gregorian year but the calendars both have the same total number of days in the year.

obviously the years of the 2 calendars overlap. for example, the current banlga year, 1429, started on april 14 of 2022, so even when the gregorian year has reached then end of december and gone on to 2023 for january, the bangla year still remains at 1429.

the bangla day starts at 6am (not midnight) and my app is initially set to this but it can be turned off as desired.

when leap year comes, we use a different ring, with 366 days. the bangla calendar was adjusted such that the gregorian leap date, feb 29, falls inside the Bangla leap month of Falgun, which normally has 29 days, acquires an extra 1 day during a leap year.

in the capture below, it's past midnight with date showing as 3/2/2023 (but before 6am - so the bangla day hasn't started yet) hence this is the bangla date i got: note that the calendar month of Falgun shows Mar 2 falls on the 17th day of Falgun but day my hasn't started yet so technically, i'm still on the 16th of Falgun (as confirmed by the web site's bangla date today in the upper right corner). However in 5+hours, my bangla date should change to 17-Falgun.

the aia is here
greg_to_bangla.aia (7.1 KB)

4 Likes

Here are the blocks from that project, for those who read this board on their phones:

(I would have uploaded individual blocks, but my block browser extensions don't seem to work on code.appinventor.mit.edu)

1 Like

@ABG , how did you do that? When I was coding, I knew I had extremely wide blocks because of chained ORs or ANDS or long computations. Etc. Here in your screenshot those logical statements have been recoded ala excel style(ie. OR(...), AND(...) and even my long formulas were "folded"!
Thanks for uploading the blocks

I use the external sockets right click option on blocks that blow bubbles or stretch too far to the right.

It makes my blocks bushier, and makes it easier to see the nesting order, in addition to reducing the need to look left and right to survey my blocks domain.

A Clean Up Blocks also helps to keep everything vertical, ready for my scroll wheel.

To balance vertical versus horizontal spacing, I sometimes use inline instead of external, when I want things to line up across blocks.

1 Like

thanks a lot! i would never have known of those tricks!