Get specific content from specific cell, and change it and save it, in a CSV file with App Inventor

Hi!

I can't find a solution to my problem. I apologize if my question seems silly. I can't find a solution.

I'm doing research for my college. I am creating the questionnaires, using the App Inventor. To load the questions, I use a CSV file. I had no trouble creating something like that.

It's a offline project, right? when I finish the interview, it will save all the data in a CSV file named "Interviews".

My problem is that I want to avoid repetition of respondents. I have a CSV file that will be loaded in the first question. You can see this file in the attached image.

This CSV file contains: the name of the course, the gender (male or female), the age groups and the total number of people to be interviewed by age group. These data will be loaded into a listview.

What I want is: if I select, for example, a male person who is between 25 and 34 years old and we have a total of 11 people of that age group to be interviewed, I would like to exclude 1 of this total.

I know that in order to do this, I would have to change the value of the cell where the total of 11 male people aged 25 to 34 is. How do I do this and how to save this modified file later?

Thank you, kind people.

``

CSV File Total to interview

Where is the "name of the course" in your csv file ?

Please show your relevant blocks

1 Like

Good morning, Sir. The name of the course is the name of the csv file.

This is information that is restricted to me, because I will be the interviewer.

The objective is as follows: through a spinner, I select which course. For example, Art History. Then, after selecting this course, the File component, uploads the arthistory.csv file, with the number of age groups to be met.

And what I want, is that whenever I select a person of any gender and of any age, the total amount is reduced.

For example: I selected a person from 35 to 44 years old, female, whose total number of people in this age group is 5 people. As soon as I select, I want to decrease 1 of that total. When I finish the interview, this arthistory.csv file will be updated with this information.

And now, forgive me, Sir. I haven't even created the program blocks yet. For now, it's all an algorithm yet.

You want someone to write your app for you ?

Please have a go, then if/when you get stuck, return to the forum with your blocks and your issue.

This sample app has filter procedures that can help you ...

Your base detailed spreadsheet columns should be:

• Course Name
  • Student Name
  • Gender (Male/Female)
  • Age (a number)

Your objective is probably to take that base spreadsheet data and to filter, group and summarize it.

To do this, you will need to learn lists, tables (lists of lists), and value procedures.

Here are some helpful procedures ...
EQUALS

(draggable)

2 Likes

Please answer me one question: where in my argument am I asking (even if implicitly) for someone to make an application for me? did i order it somewhere?

my question is just how to manipulate a csv file, changing values in specific cells, subtracting values and saving. Only that. I need guidance, not someone doing it for me.

I'll be rude and ungrateful, especially because I'm here asking for guidance ... but ...if you read something like I’m asking to someone build the project to me, please, review your syllogism abstraction.

unbelievable!

Thanks for your time.

Sir. it is exactly what I needed. You gave me an important help, so that I can finally build my questionnaire in the App inventor.

With that, I avoid repeating interviews with age groups already interviewed. Now, I need to pass my algorithm to the blocks and program the application.

I don't know how to thank you, Sir. ABG.

If there is anything I can collaborate with, anything, please feel free to say.

Thank you very much and wish you success on your way. Best Wishes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.