[FREE] Financial Calculator Extension

Financial Calculator Extension

Introducing the Financial Calculator extension, meticulously crafted to augment your Android applications with advanced financial and statistical capabilities. This extension empowers you to perform a wide range of financial calculations, from simple interest and compound interest to net present value and return on investment. It also enables you to carry out essential statistical computations, including calculating the mean, median, mode, variance, and more. Whether you're creating personal finance apps or data analysis tools, this extension is your indispensable ally.

Features

With the Financial Calculator extension, you can:

• Format Currency: Format integers as locale-specific currency, making your app user-friendly for audiences worldwide.
  • Calculate Mean: Compute the mean (average) of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Standard Deviation: Determine the standard deviation of a list of integer numbers, with options for population or sample standard deviation.
  • Calculate Median: Find the median of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Mode: Identify the mode of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Variance: Calculate the variance of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Range: Find the range of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Sum: Compute the sum of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Weighted Median: Calculate the weighted median of a list of numbers and their corresponding weights.
  • Simple Interest: Compute simple interest for a given principal, rate, and time.
  • Compound Interest: Calculate compound interest for a given principal, rate, and time.
  • Monthly Payment: Calculate the monthly payment for a loan with a given principal, rate, and time.
  • Net Present Value (NPV): Compute the net present value of cash flows with a given rate.
  • Future Value: Calculate the future value of an investment with a given principal, rate, and time.
  • Present Value: Determine the present value of a future cash flow with a given future value, rate, and time.
  • Time to Reach Future Value: Calculate the number of periods needed to reach a desired future value.
  • Rate to Reach Future Value: Determine the interest rate required to reach a desired future value.
  • Return on Investment (ROI): Calculate the return on investment.
  • Earnings Per Share (EPS): Compute earnings per share.
  • Price-to-Earnings (P/E) Ratio: Calculate the price-to-earnings ratio.
  • Market Capitalization: Determine the market capitalization of a company.
  • Cryptocurrency Profit/Loss: Calculate the profit or loss from buying and selling cryptocurrency.
  • Cumulative Normal Distribution: Compute the cumulative probability of a standard normal distribution.

Blocks

The Financial Calculator extension provides various blocks to perform calculations and interact with your app. Here are some of the key blocks:

• Format Currency: Format integers as locale currency based on the currency code.
  • Calculate Mean: Compute the mean of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Standard Deviation: Calculate standard deviation with an option for population or sample standard deviation.
  • Calculate Median: Find the median of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Mode: Determine the mode of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Variance: Compute the variance of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Range: Calculate the range of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Sum: Compute the sum of a list of integer numbers.
  • Calculate Weighted Median: Calculate the weighted median of a list of numbers and their corresponding weights.
  • Simple Interest: Compute simple interest.
  • Compound Interest: Calculate compound interest.
  • Monthly Payment: Calculate the monthly payment for a loan.
  • Net Present Value (NPV): Compute the net present value of cash flows.
  • Future Value: Calculate the future value of an investment.
  • Present Value: Determine the present value of a future cash flow.
  • Time to Reach Future Value: Calculate the time needed to reach a desired future value.
  • Rate to Reach Future Value: Calculate the interest rate required to reach a desired future value.
  • Return on Investment (ROI): Calculate the return on investment.
  • Earnings Per Share (EPS): Compute earnings per share.
  • Price-to-Earnings (P/E) Ratio: Calculate the price-to-earnings ratio.
  • Market Capitalization: Determine the market capitalization.
  • Cryptocurrency Profit/Loss: Calculate cryptocurrency profit or loss.
  • Cumulative Normal Distribution: Calculate the cumulative probability of a standard normal distribution.

Library (added by Taifun)

This extension uses the Apache Commons Math library
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/download_math.cgi

Download

You can download the Financial Calculator extension AIX file here: \ Version 2: com.bosonshiggs.finanlcialcalculator.aix (1.7 MB)

Your support is greatly appreciated. If you find this extension valuable and wish to contribute to its development, you can make a donation here.

Example Project

Explore the capabilities of the Financial Calculator extension by downloading the example AIA file FinancialCalculator.aia (2.7 MB) and GitHub project.

For questions or assistance, you can reach out on Telegram.

Thank you for your support on this journey! :rocket:

2 Likes

Nice extension, but all calculations can easily be done without it. Anyway, some may appreciate not having to enter the calculations themselves.

In my view, extensions are useful to speed up work. Regardless of whether it is easy or not, devs want agility to complete their work.

Extensions should (generally) be avoided as long as there is a native solution available.

1 Like

I don't agree, but that's your opinion.

I think extensions should only be used when there is no built-in solution available. The whole point of introducing extensions is to provide extra features to App Inventor. This way, even if we want to do something that is unavailable in App Inventor's built-in system, such as getting battery info, we can still achieve this with an extension. If it is already built-in, this would simply be repetition. Plus, extensions only work on Android...

But yes, I'll leave it up to users to decide whether they think the extension suits them. This is their opinion. I'm just sharing mine.

Probably not so easy...

For a better understanding of those calculations, @Passos_0213 might want to explain the most complicated formula more in detail to convice those who have doubts.. because this extension is not just to add a +b...

@Passos_0213 Also you are using a library to do the calculations... therefore please provide a link to that library to credit the library author...

EDIT: I now added a link in the first post

Tfank you for your contribution
Keep up the good work

Taifun

Which calculations should be so complicated? I don't see that. They are actually all quite trivial calculations from descriptive statistics and financial mathematics.

Perhaps @ABG (as a “mathematical heavyweight”) has something more to say about this. :wink:

The currency formatter block is new territory, and not obvious to me.

A person who works with the financial formulas may be more interested in the milk than raising the herd of cows.

Let the market decide.

In addition, something seems to be wrong with the standard deviation and variance. Anyone can understand and check my simple blocks for themselves. So I think my results are correct.

Sorry, cannot check either results without knowing the List of numbers evaluated. :cry:

Ok, here is the aia to check it:
FinancialCalculator_2.aia (2.7 MB)

Thank you. Using 19 21 23 25 and 27 I calculate 8, you calculate 8 the extension calculates 10

however the results from this online variance calculator calculates EITHER 8 or 10 depending whether you use a formula for a Sample (10) or a Population (8)

so, take your choice :wink: Both you and the extension are BOTH CORRECT. :wink:

1. Calculate the variance. Variance is the sum of squares divided by the number of data points.

The formula for variance for a population is:

Variance = σ2=Σ(xi−μ)2n�2=Σ(��−�)2�

The formula for variance for a sample set of data is:

Variance = s2=Σ(xi−x¯¯¯)2n−1

I think we realize the number of blocks to perform a single calculation. Imagine all the methods I implemented.

1 Like

True! I will add the external library reference.

It would add value to the extension to include usage guides with the blocks, to explain when to ask for different types of variances (population vs sample set).

1 Like

Yes...
https://towardsdatascience.com/variance-sample-vs-population-3ddbd29e498a

Thanks for the sugestion! I will add the guides.

Version 2: com.bosonshiggs.finanlcialcalculator.aix (1.7 MB)