Flappy bird with modifications for education purpose - edited post

Hi guys,

Edited post
So I managed to fix the video being played at start with the opportunity to skip the video. With good help from Taifun and this code https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/app-inventor-developers-library/flappy|sort:date/app-inventor-developers-library/nVOmpGCkpAA/MbpVKeRKBgAJ

But regarding the diamond, floating randomly and when you touch it, which should pause the game (and starts from the same place where you stopped if you answered correctly). I really have no idea where to start.

I don’t know how to add extra images in the canvas that is already there - tried to add in the same canvas but it doesn’t work. Which is the main problem, but I also struggle with how to add these functions. I tried to searh for it on both Google and YouTube to no avail. Do you guys have any tips for this?

As always, I appreciate you reading through the post and thank you in advance.
This is the app I’m going for.

FlappyBirdy.aia (3.9 MB)

Original
I’m trying to create a flappy bird app with modifications for educational purpose for primary school at first.
The game is just like flappy bird, however, I want to add some modifications for this.

The modifications I want are:

1. Add a video being played before the game start. The players have the opportunity to skip the video if they choose too
  2. Add a diamond that floates randomly, if they hit that. They will get a set of different questions to answer. The game will then be paused for you to answer.
  • If they answer correctly, they get bonus points and can continue their game
  • If they answer wrong, they will lose the game
  1. If possible, have an global highscore that can be shared with eachother - or the teacher gets all the points and can give out the information who has the highest score.

First problem
When I start the game, both the video and the questions appears. Also the skip button is not possible to click. Which makes it impossible to start the game.

Second problem (might be fixed but cannot access the game)
The game has something been a wrong resolution, even when I have added responsive background + automatic filling or percentage filling.

Third problem
I have no idea how to add a diamond that floats randomely. Also, when I have tried with diamond (or a text box), the game continues and doesn’t stop.

Wondering if anyone can help me out here :slight_smile:?

I have added the aia file if someone are interested to see what I have done. (I removed the video because the aia file was to big with it)

Thank you all in advance for reading so far

1 Like

have you seen the flappy bird examples from Scott?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/app-inventor-developers-library/flappy|sort:date
Taifun
PS: I moved this thread into category #discussion

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

2 Likes

Hi, Taifun!

Thank you for the answer. I have looked around on YouTube and different forums but not Scott specific - I will take a look at it.

However, I am fairly new to this and don’t have a super understanding of this. But trying to understand the logic.

It is the video part and the questions that I want to pop up (and also pauses the game), that I can’t find some answers on. It might have been looking at wrong information, I have to admit I am also searching for the answer, cluesless

Edited post
So I managed to fix the video being played at start with the opportunity to skip the video. With good help from Taifun and this code https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/app-inventor-developers-library/flappy|sort:date/app-inventor-developers-library/nVOmpGCkpAA/MbpVKeRKBgAJ

But regarding the diamond, floating randomly and when you touch it, which should pause the game (and starts from the same place where you stopped if you answered correctly). I really have no idea where to start.

I don’t know how to add extra images in the canvas that is already there - tried to add in the same canvas but it doesn’t work. Which is the main problem, but I also struggle with how to add these functions. I tried to searh for it on both Google and YouTube to no avail. Do you guys have any tips for this?

As always, I appreciate you reading through the post and thank you in advance.
This is the app I’m going for: see first contribution in this thread

1 Like

Please let’s be able to read a thread from the top to the bottom… you can do minor edits in your contributions but adding completely new information in the first post makes it later difficult to understand… I therefore copied that edited part from the first contribution into your latest contribution …

If you are asking for help, I recommend you to make it as easy for others to be able to help you …
You probably will get more feedback then…

which means in your case post a screenshot of your relevant blocks…

To download the aia file, upload it to App Inventor, open it, do some bug hunting for you, etc… this takes time, and most people will not do that…
Thank you.

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

1 Like

All these modifications you want to add (except for the initial video) are fairly advanced stuff and I think you have no experience yet to be able to do all this.
I downloaded the aia and tried it. And before you do your modifications, there’s somethings to do to fix the game as it is. For instance, the game is too hard for being an educational game. I can barely pass one pipe, clicking the screen like crazy.
My suggestion is, instead of pipes, you could use the diamonds you mentioned and forget all about the pipes. If the student misses a diamond, then that will make them lose the game.
A game or any app in App Inventor is not like a video that you can just pause. You have to do all the dirty work and BUILD the pause. This means, you have to stop any clocks that moves objects, any sprite moving in any direction has to be given a speed 0, etc, etc.
Are you sure you want to try adding these things to this game? Or you would like to learn more about using the canvas and animations in App Inventor? I recommend the latest.

And like @Taifun said, please don’t edit your first post, just reply in a new post inside this thread so everyone can see it and follow it as a conversation.

1 Like