Encoding & Decoding in AI2 from Scratch

Hello There!
I am planning on to make an Encoder-Decoder which should help safely transport data using Databases by using the encoding the data into customisable personal numeric format and then into Roman Numerals for more safety. I am trying to implement this because we know that cyber security is a huge concern, using this method, it is difficult for any human to decipher the text or number. We have a lot of examples of such encoding in Scratch, would be great if we introduced such interesting topics from there and implemented it here. Answer the poll below to give you suggestions -

• Yes, implement it!
  • No, it is secure enough.
  • No, it is a waste of time.

0 voters

A version of the App with a lower level encoding is available in the AI2 Gallery!
See here.

Don't confuse encoding with encryption

This is encoding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, you are right, encrypting is when a particular file is locked using a key and encoding is when the file gets coded into such a format that it is undecipherable. I have made the changes.

From Wikipedia:
In cryptography, encryption is the process of encoding information. This process converts the original representation of the information, known as plaintext, into an alternative form known as ciphertext. Ideally, only authorized parties can decipher a ciphertext back to plaintext and access the original information.

So, you use encoding to encrypt something, but you can use encoding for many other purposes, for example, data compression, or to bring data into a specific format, like UTF-8. Encoding does not make the text unreadable, at contrary, it makes it readable for another purpose.

1 Like