DX execution failed

I know that this is only data and I can enter all data in one text box. However, the user of my application cannot. He needs simple text boxes, check boxes, buttons and labels with descriptions to make it easy for him. Spaces between elements are also needed to make everything legible. Although I have removed dozens of layouts before, now after adding a few more configuration pages the problem has returned. Could not fix the problem on the programming side of AppInventor? Maybe it's a bug? Maybe it's enough to increase some time in the compiler?

Blockquote
App Inventor is unable to compile this project.
The compiler error output was
________Preparing application icon
________Creating animation xml
________Creating style xml
________Creating provider_path xml
________Creating network_security_config xml
________Generating adaptive icon file
________Generating round adaptive icon file
________Generating adaptive icon background file
________Generating manifest file
________Attaching native libraries
________Attaching Android Archive (AAR) libraries
________Attaching component assets
________Invoking AAPT
AAPT time: 0.988 seconds
________Compiling source files
(compiling appinventor/ai_froniu84a/Konfigurator_LWPM/Screen1.yail to appinventor.ai_froniu84a.Konfigurator_LWPM.Screen1)
(compiling /tmp/runtime4647089954424755394.scm to com.google.youngandroid.runtime)
Kawa compile time: 8.324 seconds
________Invoking DX
YAIL compiler - DX execution failed.
Blockquote

1 Like

your error message is DX execution failed

here is @SteveJG’s monster list of things to check https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mitappinventortest/fLiMEfPh09Q/1Ia0AaQEXogJ

each point on the monster list might be the issue, why someone gets a DX execution failed error… that thread is a collection of several possibilities, which have been collected by @SteveJG during the years while answering questions like that… hope that helps…

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

how many text boxes, check boxes, buttons, labels and layouts have you used in that screen?
too much components might be a reason to get the DX execution failed error...

you should only use a "reasonable amount" of components in one screen... and "reasonable amount" depends on the type of components used as well as the number of blocks...

a solution might also be to split the screen into 2 or more screens...

Taifun

1 Like

From the Monster List :slight_smile:

7) Sometimes, if you have LOTS of Layouts on a single screen, the apk might not compile. How many is a lot? I do not know, keep adding layouts and buttons, compile and try again…when the server crashes, you got a lot.

Layouts and Screens are wonderful tools…use too many and frequently a developer will run into trouble. When you go where the very experienced AI2 programers refuse to go, make sure you make plenty of aia file back ups so you can back out of the mess you might be creating.

AI2 has limits to how many layouts and screens can be used without issues. When building Monster apps, sometimes the developer gets eaten.

1 Like

I am completely devasted.

Struggling with a <400 k app. I have been building it step by step and ever checking . So far so good.
I am now completely stopped by DX execution failed for the first time.
I check the SteveJG monster list and all is OK.
I removed the last elements, no luck.

aia 396 kO
Screen 1 6 layouts, 5 buttons, 1 text box, 11 labels
Screen 2 11 layouts 5 buttons 0 text box 20 labels.
12 small images no larger than 50 x 50 pix

no longer adding any function is possible.
Perfectly works with the companion, no errors signaled
I really wonder why. And really pissed to have to stop this small project.
Any idea out of the monster list,
Thanks a lot, regards. JB

Ok, this is what an experienced programmer would do.
Load the last copy (aia) of the program you saved that worked. Figure out what you added prior to getting the DX execution failed and look for the issue in those newest program changes.

Change you pants and put on a clean pair, then load your penultimate aia and hope it works. If it works :slight_smile: and continue from there. DX execution errors are among the most difficult to solve, often the fix is trial and error and backing out your most recent code.

thanks a lot Steve

Forgive please my poor English, I am a frenchman.
I am coming from Arduino and app inventor is a convenient way to remotely program an Arduino CPU and sensors. Most of my coding have still being done in C++, thus my procedures are seamless I began with making monster aia for the fun of it…during more than one year. Now I want to have it work. So I started again from the scratch, processing as you mention, step by step, stocking aia s with getting backwards facing any issue. But now I am at loss. Using former aia that were OK with their own apk, I am still forced to trim step by step pieces of codes (I have a log book) and I am afraid that this way I’ll end up with only a label and a button. This DX magics is pure evil as the sanction falls without one knowing why and so far, backing out in of no avail. I am going to keep on trimming, and finally going from scratch who knows? thanks for Your kind help. JB

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: DX execution failed error