Deviceid function of the phone manager extension no longer returns the id

after updating to android 10 the deviceid function of the phone manger extension no longer returns the id

1 Like

You can thank Google for that. From their documentation:

1. Avoid using hardware identifiers. In most use cases, you can avoid using hardware identifiers, such as SSAID (Android ID), without limiting required functionality.Android 10 (API level 29) adds restrictions for non-resettable identifiers, which include both IMEI and serial number. Your app must be a device or profile owner app, have special carrier permissions, or have the READ_PRIVILEGED_PHONE_STATE privileged permission in order to access these identifiers.
2 Likes

I am new to application development. How do I release this functionality on appinventor? I need to read the serial number. thanks

it is unfortunately not possible anymore starting from Android 10
see here why Android 10의 개인정보 보호 변경사항  |  Android 개발자  |  Android Developers
Taifun

Restriction on non-resettable device identifiers

Starting in Android 10, apps must have the READ_PRIVILEGED_PHONE_STATE privileged permission in order to access the device's non-resettable identifiers, which include both IMEI and serial number.

Caution: Third-party apps installed from the Google Play Store cannot declare privileged permissions.

Affected methods include the following:

If your app doesn't have the permission and you try asking for information about non-resettable identifiers anyway, the platform's response varies based on target SDK version:

• If your app targets Android 10 or higher, a SecurityException occurs.
  • If your app targets Android 9 (API level 28) or lower, the method returns null or placeholder data if the app has the READ_PHONE_STATE permission. Otherwise, a SecurityException occurs.

Very useful info. Thank you for sharing!

Then how to get authenticity of the user, i mean whether the intended user is updating the data or some one else with his credentials.

try the Pick Google Account Extension

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.