Detect empty Google Spreadsheet

Hi there, I have an app that reads data from a Google Spreadsheet and displays it in a ListView, I have come up with a script that deletes data older than one hour. Theoretically there will be an moment where the Spreadsheet will be empty thus no data will be shown in the ListView so I am trying to come up with a script that will trigger a warning message in the ListView indicating there is no data to display. Any idea where to start from will be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

You can try:

• creating a global variable.

• read data from Google Sheets, and then set the variable as the data:

• if the list is empty, there is no data to display and show that warning message.

• if the list is not empty, display the list in the ListView.

3 Likes

This is a new guide I made just now. You can use the GetNumberOfColumns to get the number of columns in your spreadsheet. If the column got is 0, your spreadsheet is empty.

1 Like

If your sheet is empty, then your responseContent will be empty. Test this condition in Web1.GotText, and display a notifier or label to indicate that there is no data to view.

You can add &range=A2:A or &range=A5:G5 (just examples) to your url in order to return a column or row :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure, I'll try :+1:.

@TIMAI2 Thank you for your advice, I have been trying to detect an empty sheet as instructed though my blocks are not working, could you please be so kind to take a look at them so you can see what I am doing wrong? :slight_smile:

If you put responseContent to a label, what do you see ?

1 Like

@TIMAI2 Thank you very much for your help, I have been able to show the message I need, your instructions worked just fine. I am attaching a couple of images both for the blocks and another for the Warning message. Now I need to work on a script that will only show petrol stations located within a 5 km radius from where the user is. Do you have any suggestions where I can look for such a script or who to start working on it. This probably is gonna be hard to do. :slight_smile:

@TIMAI2 If you want to take a look at the .aia file here it is :slight_smile:

iNeedPetrol_FIXED.aia (26.7 KB)

Suggest you start a new topic for your "find petrol within 5km", showing your blocks so far. This should not be too difficult if you have a distance for each station based upon users location. This can be done using the maps component blocks.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.