Database selection

Hi all,
I would appreciate if you could tell me what is your favorite database or the one that you recomend,
CouldDB, Airtable, TinyDB, MiniwebDB, GoogleSpredsheet… other

I am quite new with Mit App inventor, and I need a Database that I can share with other users.

• What volume of data?
  • How many users?
  • How frequently updated?
  • Insert-only, or also update?
  • Read-only?
  • How much money do you want to spend per month?

MySQL running on your own web server, see also App Inventor Tutorials and Examples: MySQL | Pura Vida Apps

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Data; No more than 100 registers with 10 fields.
Users: Max 8
Frequently unpdated: in one hour can be 25 updates
Insert and update
Read and write
Money: As least as posible.

My a change my question.
What is the database that MIT recomed to use with APPinventor?

They do not “recommend” a database because it all depends on what type of database you need!

If you want Nosql - key:value pairs then cloudDB or Firebase
If you want sql - relational database, then mySQL or SQLite
If you want lists - columns and rows of data, then Google Sheets or csv files

since I need to have the db on a free (at least for now) web host server, file, tinydb and firebasedb are not in my consideration. between clouddb and tinywebdb, I thought tinywebdb is for persistent data and clouddb is not suitable for persistent data. What is the difference between them?

or simply put, do clouddb have methods that allow me to inquire the db like what can do with pandas dataframe (access both by row and column directly)

• please read the links in suggested in your previous topic about the documentation for different databases.

• realize there is "no free lunch" ...

• the default MIT CloudDB and the TinyWebDB provided by MIT are only for testing. They are not intended for large or commercial projects. A CloudDB can be run on your own Redis server if you want something permanent and it can be 'free'.

[

Simply no, not quite like that. The CloudDB is a flatfile nonSQL database similar to FirebaseDB. Pandas dataframe ???? no idea. It can be used to store coordinate data but you have to write the code to do that. If you want a database with spreadsheet like entry; you might use a GoogleSheet on your own GoogleDrive. Look at the link in your original community topic. Is that suggestion practical for your Project? Only you can make that decision.

Perhaps someone else will comment. Sorry, I cannot provide a recommendation based on what you shared about your project.

1 Like

A DataFrame is a type of Object that resides under the Pandas Package of Python. It's used extensively in data management, since it conveniently lists data in tabular format:

I'm pretty sure he's asking if we can edit the data directly, like SQL...

Edit: For more information: DataFrame — pandas 1.3.4 documentation (pydata.org)