Confusing documentation

in the troubleshooting instructions under Connecting the phone over wifi, it states: " If all of these steps succeed and Wireless App Inventor still doesn't work, then there may be a firewall between the computer and phone that is blocking ports 8001 and 9987. If you have a "telnet" program, you can attempt to telnet from the computer to the phone on these ports. If the connection won't complete, then there is likely a firewall in place that is blocking connections to the phone."

I tried following these instructions and I was unable to connect via telnet to these ports, however, I later found that my apps work fine (apart from an unrelated issue in my first app that lead me to these instructions). Is this correct now? do you need to be able to connect via telnet on these ports or is this a red herring?

Only port 8001 is relevant, and only in the case of using the Legacy connection. The companion in legacy mode hosts a HTTP server on port 8001, which you can access via a web browser (bypassing the need for telnet).