Can I use MIT App Inventor in creating my app?

Welcome @bianchix,

You can use a TinyDB to store the photos, or names, etc. of the plants.

Use the Taifun Alarm (the paid version) extension.

You can include WebViewers to show tutorials from the Web.

2 Likes

Wait. There is no free version??

Please read the webpage first.

There is a paid version and a free version, but according to the user's needs, you should buy the extension from Taifun. However, if you need to share the AIA source code in your project with someone else with the paid extension, I think we need to switch another method. If you are just providing the APK file, it is completely fine.

If you do not need to specify which day (Monday? Tuesday?) you need to call the alarm, free version is good. If you need to, use the paid version.

2 Likes

actually i read it a long time ago so i didnt remember :slight_smile:

If you are a newbie, take a quick look (maybe for 1 day) about tutorials for setting alarms, TinyDB and photos.

@Taifun has a awesome website about them.

(S)He also has a nice FAQ section.

Questions and Answers

Q1: I find it a bit strange that your error messages say something like "hour should be < 24" while you just test for the text field being empty.
A: Yes, you are correct. The better solution is to check for empty string and additionally for hour < 24 and minute < 60.

Q2: How can I set an alarm for some date and some hour and minute?
A: Unfortunately the AlarmClock API does not offer these features, see also here. But you can set the weekday for repeating alarms in the paid version of the extension. You will need min. API Level 19 (Android 4.4) for that.

2 Likes

Welcome binchix.

CloudDB is similar to FirebaseDB. From your Project description, you probably can also use a Google spreadsheet as a database. All of these require use of the Web. The TinyDB stores data on the device.

Alarm extension: You may not need this tool. If you open your app every day, your app can check for key dates when it is reactivated and provide your notifications at that time. Much simpler. The alarm extension might be useful if you use your app in conjunction with a mini computer like an Arduino to automate sprinklers etc. at specific days and times.

Several plant watering Projects have been discussed in the community. You might search for them to get ideas for your Project. Here is one File component issue (Using Bluetooth, TinyDB to control a Plant watering system) - #3 by Patryk_F that parts could apply to your Project.

Also, Projects in the MIT Gallery
https://gallery.appinventor.mit.edu/?galleryid=6182311175782400

https://gallery.appinventor.mit.edu/?galleryid=5144113010311168

https://gallery.appinventor.mit.edu/?galleryid=4685162689462272

or enter the MIT Gallery and search for 'water plant'

Good luck with your Project

2 Likes

This info is very helpful, much appreciated.

I might consider using Google Spreadsheet and start finding a vid tutorial for that. Thank you.

I'm at ease, knowing its possible, thank you.

Though I still can't find a vid tutorial that could help me on making the log in at sign up using TinyDB, still, I'll take your advice.

Yep, I thought so too, but hoping I could pull it off.
Wish me luck!

1 Like

i dont think tinydb is what you need tiny db is a device storage database and not a online database.

1 Like

Your suggestions are very much appreciated, how I wish I can finish the project without spending a penny, but I'll consider that extension. Thank you again!

1 Like

and/or

1 Like

Your suggestions are very much appreciated, how I wish I can finish the project without spending a penny, but I'll consider that extension.

Thank you again!

the alarm extension sets the built in alarm of the device...
you also could consider using the

Taifun

1 Like

That's so fast! Thank you so much for helping me out.

Is that so? Might removed that from my options then. Thank youuu!

1 Like

aah. i think then op will need cloud db

1 Like

It depends on your choice. CloudDB might be a good alternative, but your data might be wiped out completely without any signs of warning to make space for other users.

FirebaseStorage? You can create a project in Firebase, then upload your files.

1 Like

Data might be wiped out from TinyWebDB if you use it. MIT tell us the TinyWebDB is only for experimentation.

The data will not be randomly wiped out from the default CloudDB server or if CloudDB is used with your own Redis server. MIT has more than sufficient capacity to maintain the files on their server. MIT has told us this.

However your statement is not true with respect to CloudDB. To the best of my knowledge MIT has never deleted user data to make space for other users from its CloudDB server.

FirebaseDB has its issues; the software MIT uses to access FirebaseDB is deprecated code abandoned by Google. Firebase could be made useless for users at any time by Google as happened when Google deprecated Fusion Tables. :cry:

2 Likes

So, as I am doing the tutorials of this app, I encountered some problems, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, can you guys help me? I don't know how will I explain this, but this is what happening and this is the screenshot of my blocks.

So it's working in Aglaonema Plants, but when I chose the plants under the Snake Plant Category, it output the last type of plant I chose on Aglaonema Plant Category.

A guess. It might be your refresh Procedure calling Aglanonema?

Note you call 5 Procedures in Aglanonema but do not in any other catagory. What happens if you request Snake Plant first? Does the next selection work properly?