Bluetooth keyboard without Arduino

Hello! do any off you know of a way to make a BT keyboard without using a Arduino? I do have a simple connection system for BT copying this guide: https://iot.appinventor.mit.edu/assets/howtos/MIT_App_Inventor_Basic_Connection.pdf Any help is gratly appreciated!

Dear @nickje2000,
welcome in the community.
The tutorial you linked shows how to connect an Arduino BT device, to an app.
But this does not mean that the principle cannot be used to connect a "generic" BT device to AI2.
But let me ask you a question: do you have a keyboard that uses the BT to communicate toward a PC or a Tablet or a phone ?
What do you mean with "make a keyboard" ?

Hello @uskiara !
I do have a bt keyboard, and i mean to make a virtual keyboard on your phone wich emulates a actual keyboard so i can use it portably!

Ah, ok. Not so easy, but feasible.
To emulate a keyboard you can start with this tutorial by @AyProductions :hugs: HOW TO: Making a custom keyboard with Vanilla App Inventor
Once you are done with that, you can go on, by sending each character on the BT line. But this will be done in a second step. It will be necessary to know what is the device that you want to send data to. And what this device is capable to understand on its BT line. In other words: the receiving device will (shall) be aware that what it is receiving on the BT line is a series of characters and not and mp3 (for example).

1 Like

Allright! I will desing a keyboard tomorrow, do you know of any good sources for those bluetooth codes?

If you search the community for BT communications between AI2 and Arduino (as said, the principle is usable for other BT devices) you'll find a lot of examples and tutorials.
Moreover ther are (at least !) two other Power Users that have tons of Bt code chunks on their web sites: @ChrisWard (professorcad.co.uk) and @Juan_Antonio (kio4.com) .

Please take care to you split your job in two sections:

1. the keyboard emulator that fills locally a textbox (according to the Ayproduction tutorial), and
  2. the BT comms, in which you send via BT the textbox content whenever you press the enter key (simulated).
    In this way you can debug each one separately and at the end you can glue the two parts together. (Don't try to make all-in-one step, otherwise you can get crazy in trying to find what is not working).

Allright, thanks for your help!

Tip - use images on your keyboard buttons so that the characters can be as large as possible.

Use the keyboard to build the message to be sent, but have a dedicated "send" button.

1 Like

Thanks!