BlueTooth classic SPP serial port need help scanning devices

Hi,

I am developing an app that uses classic BT serial, so the BlueToothClient object. I can display a list of paired devices but have not found a way to trigger a scan of all available devices near the phone. Is there any way for me to do this? I know a BLE extension that does scans but I'm not using BLE, due to the requirement I must have BT serial. Any help is appreciated!

This app inventor looks very promising for making simple programs. I wonder if there's any way to see source code behind the drag-n-drop interface that is getting really hard to manage with my moderate 1-day build. I'm used to large code base but have not done any phone apps up til now. This interface reminds me of LabVIEW, which is drab-n-drop and the size of the program gets so large that you can't visualize it on one screen.

1 Like

you will need an extension to do this, for example my bluetooth extension here

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

1 Like

Thanks Taifun. I'll check out your extension. Coming from a very different background, I'm curious as why the main project's classic BT doesn't include a scan feature and if I'm correct, this classic BT has been a part of app inventor for a number of years. So what gives? How much does an app rely on 3rd-party extensions? Any github repo for your extension?

1 Like

My guess is, a scan feature was not a priority for the MIT App Inventor team...

No

Taifun

1 Like

Thanks. That was helpful. They are academic.