Background Tasks extension [3.8 A] 🥳

Hi you cannot use any activity starter to open the app from the background since the android dosent allow you to do it directly.

3 Likes

Hello again,
please give me some examples how to make my app to auto run in background, to wait(work) around 60 sec. and then self closing?
Thanks in advance.
Regards

1 Like

Hi, what do you want to achive?

04.04.2021_11.01.36_REC
Hi ! i just installed the background tasks extension(latest 3.8 A?) and couldnt find this block.
beside i dont understand the guideline that you illustrate like function call task or anything......will you explain it in detail? thanks alot!

There is a way to open an app from the background?

can you elaborate? are you trying to autostart an app at a given time?
if yes, see the [PAID] ⏰ Alarm Manager Extension with Notification or Autostart

Taifun

2 Likes

I would like to be able to connect a mobile sensor with the start of an app, for example, when I shake the mobile phone to open the camera app or a specific app.

thanks

1 Like

That's an interesting idea... you might want to check, if tasker is able to do it...

Taifun

3 Likes

Wow, it is interesting, thanks

1 Like

Hi, welcome, which version of the extension are you using?

Self-opening app functionality has been implemented and it's ready in version 4.0. You should be able to open the app when you shake it.

1 Like

Ideal for me: to be able to run my application in the background.

another solution: start my application (if possible in the background) every 6 hours and stay active for about 60 seconds, then close.

My application is made in App Inventor.
Receives data on soil temperature and humidity from NodеMCU with the appropriate sensors.

I'm still studying Background Tasks, but I miss the logic it works on!

2 Likes

"""Download

The extension is free for everyone to use.

[mod_edit: please do not post direct links to other developers extensions]

I get this extension from the 1st post. I double check and confirm that few blocks are missing.
btw i need some guideline or reference of how this extension works.will ya give me more detail ? such as the the component itself will register a services/task which call the function ?
anyway thanks alot for your reply ! :sweat_smile:

Hi, can you do some tests before doing anything? It will help you a lot.

Not sure if I missed to update any documentation, to start the service you will have to use the Start block.

giving up on this task extension stuff.Its too complicated to .It seems like user required to reverse engineering the code(block?) in order to understand the mechansim of how it works. I knew python and javascript which both are comprehensive and logical.May be i should learn kotlin to write android apps.
anyway thanks for your help! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi! I'm having a problem using this extension with Android 8.1 (On Android 11 works correctly). I have this bunch of code

which makes a Clock (Time_Temp) work in the background when clicking in a button, but when clicking an error is being thrown (setImportantWhileForeground). I've seen that this function has been added since Android 9 so I tried with Foreground=False in Start but still the same. Does this extentions only work in Android 9 onwards? Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, this error was fixed in 3.7, did you try out the latest version of the extension?

1 Like

Hi! Yes, I have tried with 3.7 and 3.8 but same error was being shown. I attach a screenshot with the version I'm currently using. Thanks!

1 Like

I had the same error on android 8.1 and it was working well on android 11
just set latency to any value greater than 0, that worked for me

2 Likes

Oh it's working, thank you so much for your help!!! :smile: :smile:

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
I want to make an app where the users can add appointments to a calendar and be reminded about these appointments. The first part is working but not the second part. Is it possible to send a notification at the date and time of the appointment using this extension? Can anyone please help. Thank you so much,
Superdojo