Application is OK, but I can't install it (APK) on my (Android13) smartphone

I was looking for solution, but I have found nothing...

What is my problem?
I'm using App Inventor since 2019. I have made a few apps and they are working correctly. Now I had to make some really easy modifications on my app. I test the application on the web (Al Companion / Emulator) and works OK! (no warnings, no errors). Then (as usually) I build an APK file, download it to my phone and try to install it. Unfortunately I see only something like this:

The Application wasn't installed, because the whole package looks unproperly”.

I'm using Samsung S21 with android 13
(I was trying to install this app on my wife's phone too, but I have got the same result = error)

Someone has written that I should uninstall the old application and delete old APK files. I have done it, but the problem still exist.

I have done one more test: I have built a new APK-file from my old applications (they are 100% OK, no modification), but it was the same result (both phones):

The Application wasn't installed, because the whole package looks unproperly”.

I have no idea what is wrong and what can I do...

Please help.

Guesses:

old app? Pre Android 13 perhaps? You may be using procedures that now require permissions but did not when you wrote the original and for which Companion has the permissions but your code does not request them. Can you install the app on a phone younger than Android 13?

• insufficient storage
  • Play Protect issue

I have successfully installed this app on my son's smartphone with Android 11.

So how should I modify my application to be correct for Android 13? What is going on?

"successfully installed this app on my son's smartphone with Android 11" Congratulations :astonished: you know now the problem.

What you do depends on what components you use. Sorry, we don't know anything about your code. You probably have to request the absent permissions using the tools of the Screen component.

Anyway one thing is still very weird:

I have another application from May 2021. If I build an APK-file today, I can't install it on my smartphone with Android 13

BUT

if I use the APK-file of the same application, that was built on May 2021 - I can successfully install it on my smartphone with Android 13.

I can't understand it...

Someone may correct me, but as far as I know, nothing much, if at all, has changed permissions - wise between Android 11 & 13.

Is you wife's phone also a Samsung, and your son's phone from another manufacturer or different model ?

You are welcome to share either the aia project or apk (this not directly on the community) so some one can test...or you could PM an interested Power User with these.

Post a screenshot of this message.

Because previously App Inventor targeted SDK30 and since a short time SDK31...

Taifun

Yes, but ...

so post the aia and/or upload the APK to Google Drive and post the link.

Thank you for any advices!

I repeat:

I have got an old application AIA-file (created on May 2021), that works OK since that time. I have got also an old APK-file (of this application), that was created AT THE SAME TIME (May 2021). I CAN install this file (APK) on my smartphone with Android 13 without any problems...

BUT

If I build a new APK-file TODAY (of the same application, without making any changes!), I can't install it on my smartphone.

Sorry, but it looks, that there is some problem (?) at MIT App Inventor...

I'm sending a link to my Google Drive directory with three files. You can find there also a screenshot with error-message from my smartphone (polish): DELETED

PS

1. My smartphone is Samsung S21 + Android 13.
  2. My wife's smartphone: Samsung with Android 13.
  3. My son's smartphone: Samsung with Android 11.

EDIT:
Probably the "PushNotification" extension caused my problem. I have deleted it and now I can install my APP on my smartphone.

Anyway, thank you for your advices and sorry for disturbing on your community!

1 Like

Wonderful you solved your install issue.

What extension did you use to provide push notifications Gregor? Knowing this extension caused an issue may help the community advise others.

Try this one (on Android 12+):

I didn't delete anything, but added a few lines in the Manifest.

That is the extension (I'm not sure if it is bad, but after I've removed it, I could install the app):

Super!

Could you send me this app as AIA-file? I'm curious what have you changed...

I'm only amateur who is playing with electronics and simple programming.

The extension is compatible with Android 11 and not with Android 13 it appears. That is useful to know. Thanks for letting us know. :slight_smile:

So does it install / work on your test devices (Android 12+)?

As I said, I only added a few lines in the Manifest.
Steps:

• I decompiled the APK,
  • edited the Manifest and
  • signed & rebuilt the APK

(done in < 30 sec).

See also e.g. here:

SteveJG: The extension is compatible with Android 11 and not with Android 13 it appears. That is useful to know. Thanks for letting us know.

If you are right, why can I still install the old APP-file from May 2021 with the old "PushNotification" extension on my smartphone with Android 13 if the extension is no compatible with Android 13...?

Anke: You need to customize the Manifest; add this line: Btw, as far as I know also Material Design / icons require Android ≥ 5 / "Lollipop" (API 21).

Danke Anke und Grüsse aus Polen!

1 Like

@sokol_osw see e.g. here:
https://community.appinventor.mit.edu/t/ai2-test-updated-for-sdk-31-android-12/62733/17?u=anke
(EDIT: only for Power Users)

Ich kann das Link nicht öffnen ("private").