[APP/OS] 📖 Trivia - Professional Trivia Quiz App

:computer: Introduction

Originally I wanted to release the source code in May or June, but I cannot wait to release it now.

This is an application made with App Inventor that gives you access to a variety of quizzes. Originally built with App Inventor, this contains 11 sets of trivia questions.

99% of this application, except the feature for looking up trivia quizzes online, can be accessed offline. I have 24 asset files, but they are not even 1 MB yet. We pre-set the questions in a JSON file so that each category has 40 to 50 questions. Then, we randomly draw 10 questions to be asked.

The time limit for each question is 30 seconds each, no matter hard or easy. You can pause the timer for a while, but during that time, the question and options will be hidden, just to prevent cheating.

The categories are divided below. 10 different sets, and 1 set for all.

• Animals: questions related to different animals and biology.

• Board games: fun facts and rules about different board games.

• Computers: basic coding knowledge and how to control computers.

• Geography - different ethnicities and countries all around the world.

• History - world history about different countries.

• Mythology - gods and goddesses from different beliefs.

• Science and Nature - fun facts about science (physics/chemistry) and their relations to nature.

• Sports: fun facts and rules about different sport events.

• Television: questions about shows that you watch on TV.

• Vehicles: questions about vehicles.

• All.

There is also a token system that we have just added. Every day you log in, you earn 1 token. When you score 8 points or higher in a trivia, you earn 1 token as well. You can use 3 tokens to eliminate a random incorrect option when doing trivias. We plan to expand this system in the next releases.

:camera_flash: Screenshots

Removing 1 incorrect option with 3 tokens:

:+1: Credits

:bookmark_tabs: Questions

Thanks to Open Trivia DB: Free to use, user-contributed trivia question database. for their beautiful constructed questions.

:bulb: Inspirations/Tutorials

:jigsaw: Extension Developers

None.

:framed_picture: Icons

Icons8, Wikimedia, Flaticon and so much more providers for their beautiful constructed icons.

:blue_book: The source code

To support offline usage, I have around 25 media files, but they add up to just be around 1 MB. When you upload files, do your math that they cannot be up to 5 MB.

• Screen1 is the splash screen, requests the user to wait when the app loads the questions.

• Screen2 is the options screen, giving the user sets to choose.

• Screen3 is the main screen, where the questions show up.

• Screen4 is just a tab, showing the user similar trivia sets available online.

:newspaper: License

This app is licensed under the MIT License. You are free to:

• use the source code in personal or commercial use.

• modify or distribute the source code.

one exception: you are not allowed to copy the app and use it in competitions.

However, you are reminded to:

• credit (name = Gordon Lu and link this topic).

• limited to liability and warranty.

:clock: Version

:clock1: Version: 2.0.0 Beta

:date: Confirmed on: 2022-04-16T16:00:00Z

:inbox_tray: Downloads

AIA: Trivia_1.aia (1.0 MB)

:lock: Open Source

Yes, the app is open source! View it in the MIT App Inventor gallery.

Kindly :email: PM me or reply here if you have any questions! Also, if you like my app, please :heart: like it! It takes some effort for me to make it...

Likes tell me the general user feedback of my app and motivate me to make them even better. If you saw this app, please take 20 seconds to drop by and give a like!

If you have any features that you want to add to this app, PM me or reply here.

Gordon Lu

:speech_balloon: Message :earth_africa: Website :e-mail: E-mail

12 Likes

Good work @Gordon_Lu :+1: :sparkles:

2 Likes

I think this is the best quiz app. :grin: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Good Job @Gordon_Lu the best quiz app i have ever seen or made :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:

1 Like

Just won the Coronavirus App Challenge for May for this app. Thanks everyone for their support!

3 Likes

my favorite mit app ever!!!

1 Like

Hey everyone! I'm new to the App Inventor and I came across this problem and I don't know how to fix it. Is anyone familiar with this particular problem?

This is my application, you have forked the AIA. I believe there is a problem here, and I am releasing a new version later. Hope you can test it.

I have moved the topic to here.

hi , good afternoon , i am new to app inventor and working as a teacher i a high school , when i see your app it makes me fell that it is perfect for my students , but when i am trying to increase the question limit from 10 question per quiz to 11 or more then the app show an error , it will be very helpful for many teachers like me if you can help me to increase the question limit from 10 question per quiz to more then 10 may be 100+ or more per category as it don't make any sense to test the knowledge of students in only 10 question , thank you , hope you will reply when you get free time , god bless you

hi, sir ! did you find solution to the given problem ?

As stated in your message, there is a lot of confusing logic in this program (I don't even know how to explain how it works). It is also pretty much outdated because it is written one year ago. Please don't try to edit the program unless you really know what to do.

The general solution to this type of problem is to always test the length of a list before trying to select from it.

Also, do not hard wire numbers like 10 into your code.