App icons don't seem to work

I’m not sure if anyone else has experienced this but when exporting an app on ai2-test, the default Codi app icon and custom icons don’t seem to work. I always see the default Android icon instead.

Screen1 Icon designer property (none should use default Codi icon)
Screenshot_20191123-114742~2

Using custom icon also uses default Android icon
Screenshot_20191123-123230~2

Launcher icon
Screenshot_20191123-114714~2

Icon shown on package installer

4 Likes

@Conor Which version of Android are you seeing this on?

Sorry, forgot to mention that :smile: I have Android 9.0 (Pie).

So this seems to be a subtle bug in the new adaptive icons support. If I build locally on my Mac and install on a device, it works fine. If I build on ai2-test and install on the emulator, that also works fine. But if I build on ai2-test and install on the device it gives the default android icon. This is even more puzzling because of the fact that the icons are present in the APK so it’s unclear why they aren’t being used by the launcher.

1 Like

On Android 9 and 8 the launcher icon is not shown, but on Android 5.1 it's ok.

I have several test devices (Android, 4.3, 5.0, 5.1, 7, 8.0, 8.1, 9).
If helpful I can make some more tests tomorrow).

1 Like

By decompiling and compiling back to apk, icon works.on Android 9.

2 Likes

It appears this problem is caused by our use of an older version of the Android build tools that predate the introduction of round icons. I updated our Linux build tools and it seems to fix the issue on a Linux development machine.

5 Likes

… apparently it has not yet been updated / implemented to http://ai2-test.appinventor.mit.edu/
(I get the same result as before on a Galaxy Note8, Android 9)

After de- and recompiling it works, as Boban already mentioned.

1 Like

I just updated ai2-test with Evan’s fix and verified that icons are showing up on my Samsung S8 Active running Pie.

3 Likes

Just tested again on ai2-test and can confirm that app icons are working now :+1:

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Title of app and icon for app dissapead from designer view