App emulator will not work

What else can I try to fix this?

I have downloaded MIT_App_Inventor_Tools_2.3.0_win_setup, performed an uninstall of the packaged version, rebooted, installed v2.3, rebooted and I get the errors below when trying to ai2.appinventor.mit.edu --> Connect --> Emulator . I have also (I believe successfully) done ai2.appinventor.mit.edu --> Help --> Update the Companion, as ai2.appinventor.mit.edu --> Companion Information says Companion Version Use Companion: 2.69 or 2.69u .

I have disabled Windows Defender Firewall and added aiStarter.exe and emulator.exe to the whitelisted applications.

When I try to run the ai2helper application in the emulation, I see the following image and it disconnects

This page Test for Emulator/USB Connection Software says

Is aiStarter running?

YES, aiStarter v2.3.0 running!

From the aiStarter output cmd window

Exception happened during processing of request from ('127.0.0.1', 51979)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\mckinney\Projects\appinventor-tools-setup\Windows\aiStarter\build\aiStarter\out00-PYZ.pyz\SocketServer", line 295, in _handle_request_noblock
File "C:\Users\mckinney\Projects\appinventor-tools-setup\Windows\aiStarter\build\aiStarter\out00-PYZ.pyz\SocketServer", line 321, in process_request
File "C:\Users\mckinney\Projects\appinventor-tools-setup\Windows\aiStarter\build\aiStarter\out00-PYZ.pyz\SocketServer", line 334, in finish_request
File "C:\Users\mckinney\Projects\appinventor-tools-setup\Windows\aiStarter\build\aiStarter\out00-PYZ.pyz\SocketServer", line 651, in init
File "C:\Users\mckinney\Projects\appinventor-tools-setup\Windows\aiStarter\build\aiStarter\out00-PYZ.pyz\SocketServer", line 710, in finish
File "C:\Users\mckinney\Projects\appinventor-tools-setup\Windows\aiStarter\build\aiStarter\out00-PYZ.pyz\socket", line 279, in close
File "C:\Users\mckinney\Projects\appinventor-tools-setup\Windows\aiStarter\build\aiStarter\out00-PYZ.pyz\socket", line 303, in flush
error: [Errno 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine

From the AI Web Interface

Error from Companion: java.lang.RuntimeException: invalid syntax in eval form: :14:1: caught exception in inliner for # - java.lang.RuntimeException: no such class: com.google.appinventor.components.runtime.com.google.appinventor.components.runtime.HorizontalArrangement gnu.bytecode.ObjectType.getReflectClass(ObjectType.java:148) gnu.bytecode.ClassType.getModifiers(ClassType.java:103) gnu.bytecode.ClassType.isInterface(ClassType.java:471) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.checkType(InlineCalls.java:56) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:49) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExpValue(InlineCalls.java:363) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExpValue(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitSetExp(ExpVisitor.java:114) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExp(InlineCalls.java:369) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.SetExp.visit(SetExp.java:406) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:55) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:272) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.BeginExp.visit(BeginExp.java:156) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:272) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.BeginExp.visit(BeginExp.java:156) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLetExp(InlineCalls.java:317) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLetExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LetExp.visit(LetExp.java:207) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildrenOnly(LambdaExp.java:1664) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildren(LambdaExp.java:1651) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitScopeExp(InlineCalls.java:279) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:349) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visit(LambdaExp.java:1640) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:55) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitAndUpdate(ExpVisitor.java:162) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitExps(ExpVisitor.java:176) gnu.expr.ApplyExp.visitArgs(ApplyExp.java:416) gnu.kawa.reflect.CompileInvoke.validateApplyInvoke(CompileInvoke.java:23) java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method) java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.maybeInline(InlineCalls.java:467) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:150) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.kawa.functions.CompilationHelpers.validateApplyToArgs(CompilationHelpers.java:66) java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method) java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.maybeInline(InlineCalls.java:467) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:150) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:119) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ApplyExp.visit(ApplyExp.java:411) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:55) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:162) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.kawa.functions.CompilationHelpers.validateApplyToArgs(CompilationHelpers.java:66) java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method) java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.maybeInline(InlineCalls.java:467) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:150) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:119) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ApplyExp.visit(ApplyExp.java:411) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:272) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.BeginExp.visit(BeginExp.java:156) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildrenOnly(LambdaExp.java:1664) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildren(LambdaExp.java:1651) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitScopeExp(InlineCalls.java:279) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:349) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitModuleExp(ExpVisitor.java:103) gnu.expr.ModuleExp.visit(ModuleExp.java:482) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.inlineCalls(InlineCalls.java:33) gnu.expr.Compilation.walkModule(Compilation.java:994) gnu.expr.Compilation.process(Compilation.java:1965) gnu.expr.ModuleInfo.loadByStages(ModuleInfo.java:330) gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule1(ModuleExp.java:238) gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule(ModuleExp.java:198) gnu.expr.Language.eval(Language.java:943) gnu.expr.Language.eval(Language.java:883) gnu.expr.Language.eval(Language.java:865) com.google.appinventor.components.runtime.util.AppInvHTTPD.serve(AppInvHTTPD.java:188) com.google.appinventor.components.runtime.util.NanoHTTPD$HTTPSession.run(NanoHTTPD.java:470) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1068) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:561) java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1096)

If you can't get aistarter working, there is always the option of installing any other Android emulator and loading the Companion app onto that, then using Connect->Companion.

That gives you the freedom to update your Companion at will.

Is there another way to try and get the Companion Upgraded in the emulator? I'd like to keep it simple and not stray away from the OE design if possible.

Is that an interception by your anti-virus software?

With regard to the java exception - are you using one or more extensions? That could be an issue for the emulator.

If possible, to avoid all of your hair going grey, use the Companion on a smartphone instead - it is much better than using an emulator in every way!

There's no AV on this machine and as far as Chrome extensions, I have Adobe PDF and Google Docs. Are either of those problematic?

I'd like to use emulators so that I can simulate different versions of Android as well as IOS.

Well, you would need to use 3rd party emulators for that, but these days most of them only support the most recent versions of Android. What I (and others) do is hang on to all the smartphones I have ever owned (going back to Andriod v4.2) to do real tests on real hardware. I appreciate that not everyone can do that but you might be able to get older phones from members of your family and there are often a few at car-boot sales etc.

Really? What is the name and version of your PC's OS?

Not Chrome extensions, App Inventor Extensions.........

Ah ok, then I have no App Inventor extensions. Do you have any recommendations for 3rd party emulators? I do not have a bunch of old phones to test with.

I have an HP laptop with Windows 10 Enterprise, 22H2.

|Processor|Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz 2.16 GHz|
|Installed RAM|8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)|
|Device ID|380B0848-59AF-414D-8912-8EFDA3D9A72B|
|Product ID|00329-00000-00003-AA875|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
|Pen and touch|No pen or touch input is available for this display|

Right, well Windows Defender Device Guard is an Anti-Virus program and is part of Windows 10.....white list the App Inventor folders to prevent it from making untimely interceptions. Windows 10 Enterprise is usually deployed by Corporations as it is a pay-as-you-go license.

Before you install any programs, you need to know if your Windows 10 is 32 bit or 64 bit.

So, on Windows 10, you are using Chrome to run MIT App Inventor, right?

The 3rd party emulators are mostly programs for installation on Windows - make sure you select the correct version for your OS. Genymotion is online in a similar way to App Inventor - I think there is an installable version too, I have not used it for years. There are paid and free versions of emulators too, so you have a lot of choice.

BlueStacks

Genymotion

Memu [Similar to BlueStacks]

There are many others, do a Google Search for 'Android emulators for Windows 10'