Alexa skill only responds with "This Skill was created with MIT App Inventor"

Hi, after following the Alexa Hello World tutorial the only response I get while testing in the browser is "This Skill was created with MIT App Inventor".

I've attached a screenshot of my blocks, where you can see I've even tried using the other Alexa event blocks to see if I could get it to say any of my strings. It seems to recognize my utterance and intent as valid inputs (otherwise I've been getting an error message) but instead of responding with "hello world" or any of the other strings in my code I'm getting what must just be a default response.

I feel like I've missed an important step or perhaps there's an issue with the site. Either way, any help with this would be really appreciated!

This html showing all the instructions for the tutorial in one place. See all the steps in one place might help you Hello World .

Here are all the forum discussions about Alexa; this might help.

Thanks for these suggestions. That's the same tutorial I was following and I went through it all again this morning and I'm still getting the same result. And I took a look through the forum posts related to Alexa and found some issues that seemed similar, but the solutions for those aren't working in my project unfortunately.

I don't have one of these gadgets so you might follow the advice to get a working project from the links at app inventor alexa without an alexa device - Google Search

I figured it out and got it working! The instructions in the tutorial have a minor error, because step 7 says:

If you don’t have an Alexa-enabled device on hand, App Inventor allows you to simulate an Alexa using your custom Alexa skill right in your browser! Simply type in the textbox at the bottom, “Alexa, ask hello world greeter to say hi.” The response should be what we plugged into the say block earlier, “hello world.”

I'd been using the message they say to use in that step, but you actually need to split it into two prompts. First you need to open the skill by typing in something like "Alexa, open hello world greeter" and then type a second message with one of your intents like "Say hi".
When I kept seeing the same response "This Skill was created with MIT App Inventor", it must have just been opening the skill over and over, since that's the default response it says when you first open a skill.
It'd be great to get the tutorial instructions updated since any kid following along step-by-step is going to run into the same issue I had and will think they've done something wrong.

1 Like

Thanks Steve.

@ewpatton Could you please see Steve's comment and get the tutorial language a little clearer. :slight_smile:

Yes, this will also work, but it is not necessary (or shouldn't be necessary).

Please privately message me the account you were testing this with. I can go look at the server logs and consult with our contacts at Alexa as to why the skill was not being appropriately triggered based on the example phrase.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.