AI virtual keyboard "Enter/Done/Go" etc, key code block

I have searched around for a while now, and it appears that there is currently No code block available to process the AI's virtual keyboard "Done" key, etc...i.e. not in the current version of MIT App Inventor (which is version 2). The only thing available are extensions, which generate Runtime errors, i.e.

"Error from Companion: java.lang.RuntimeException: invalid syntax in eval form: :16:1: caught exception in inliner for # - java.lang.RuntimeException: no such class: com.puravidaapps.TaifunTextbox..."

in the Android Emulator(w/aiStarter from ...Tools_2.3.0_win_setup.exe)

and the progress bar hangs in the AI Companion pop-up on the MIT APP INVENTOR ide.

Am I correct in this observation? Plus there is No Circular Progress Bar available in MIT AI2, as well

Thanks for your time and patience,
wkb

1 Like

There may be an issue with running the current emulator (search community...)

Did you refresh your browser and restart the companion app after installing an extension ?

Were your progress dialog blocks in different events? (The dismiss block needs to be in a different event from the show block)

How to avoid runtime errors with the companion app

1. After importing an extension, please restart the companion app.
  2. If you like to use an extension on a different screen, in Screen1 additionally drag the extension into the working area.

While starting the companion app, all necessary assets and also the imported extensions of your project will be copied to your device. So in case the no such class error shows up, the extension code to run the extension is not available on your device. Without that code the companion app is not able to execute methods from the extension.

In case restarting the companion app does not work for you after trying several times, then as it looks like the only way for you to test you app will be after building it using the apk file.

Taifun

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry I was not able to do likewise! I think I did what you suggested.
Note that my question is all in reference to using the AIX from "com.puravidaapps.TaifunTextbox.aix".
The progress bar is the one you see when you Select menu item "Connect->AI Companion" and scan the QR with my S22+ cellphone. I'm not doing any progress bar block coding...if I understand your response?

Plus, the only non AIX question, is about a Circular Progress Bar not being one of the MIT AI2 components...just the Slider which I can use to make a Horizontal progress bar.

Ken
PS. Please forgive me if I am confused or not making any sense...lol...

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry I was not able to do likewise!
Still working this... forgive me for not doing the APK earlier when you first mentioned it. It does appear to run on my S22+ with No Runtime error...BUT I am still working this...not sure why your AIX java code is not loaded when I do the import and the Emulator does not find it; using the Android Emulator installed by the Android Studio, supposedly...?? Order of my executions: AI2(offline version?!) with "textboxEnterPressed" project selected...note the AIX was imported and the AI2 closed and opened/started again, Studio, aiStarter, and menu item selected "Connect->Emulator"

Why the Notifier component in the "textboxEnterPressed" test project...I don't see any Notifier code blocks.

Ken

You are using an emulator and you are using an offline App Inventor...

Try the online MIT App Inventor together with the companion app on a real device

Sorry, I do not know, what you are talking about

Taifun

lol...ok...will do...the textbox test for your AIX has ... see pic...lol....

Well, in the designer you will not see much, except of those 2 empty textboxes from the Enter Pressed Test project...

Taifun

The old emulator (2.x) does not support extensions since the functionality needed for them was added in Android 2.2 but the old emulator package is Android 2.1. The new emulator version for Windows bundles Android 11 IIRC but at the moment App Inventor still assumes that the emulator cannot support extensions and will not load them.

So, the emulator from the Android Studio, version 32.1.11 can handle AIXs, but the current MIT AI2 will not load any AIX files, correct??? I've been starting the Electric El studio, and then the aiStarter doesn't say the Emulator is out of date!

Note that the Taifun AIX does seem to work on my S22+ cellphone...

This statement is wrong...

It might not work in an emulator or companion app on an old offline App Inventor version, but it will work after building the app

Also it should work using your device together with the companion app connected via wifi and the online MIT App Inventor server

Taifun

1 Like

When you use Connect > Emulator, then extensions are not loaded. However, if you're using an emulator package and you connect using the AI Companion option and type in the 6 character code, then extensions will be loaded. The behavior of the Emulator option was an optimization that's no longer valid and we will probably relax this in a future release of App Inventor.

lol...hahaha...ok...lol...pura vida...my bad...lol...IT DOES WORK...lol...But the "enter icon" option for "SEARCH" will show a but the text "Go" shows "Done"...This is via the wifi from my PC(w/online AI2) to the AI Companion app on my S22+...

It would really help if you provided a screenshot of your relevant blocks, so we can see what you are trying to do, and where the problem may be.

To get an image of your blocks, right click in the Blocks Editor and select "Download Blocks as Image". You might want to use an image editor to crop etc. if required. Then post it here in the community.

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

I switched "Go" for "Done"... to see if my S22+ virtual keyboard gives "Go" for icon option "Done"
My S22+ is running versions One UI 5.0, Android 13

names are case sensitive... see the documentation

Possible values for icon: DONE, GO, NEXT, PREVIOUS, SEARCH, SEND.

Taifun

your documentation...i missed that link or ? on you site...??

Taifun

oh...thanks...i see it ...per individual code block...a description...thanks!