Account for my 12 years kid with his gmail accout (google family profile)

Dear Users or developers,
I woul like create an account for my son with his google gmail account (family link) but is not possible.

Is there any option to create an account whit his gmail?

thanks in advance
Eduardo

Google has strict limitations on accounts for childeren under certain ages Eduardo. This is not imposed by MIT

Take a look at code.appinventor.mit.edu. It permits people to login without having an account at all. Once they log in They are shown a four word revisit code. If they write that code down, they can use it in the future to go back to the system and access the projects they created. In essence it’s like an account that’s just identified by four words.

MIT app inventor is recommended for Technovation girls, for girls from 10 to 18 years old.
I don’t understand how it is possible if some of them are forbidden to use the tool. Google has a process to label applications as safe, so it is in the hands of MIT to fix this.

@chargio Google limits usage of Google accounts by minors. This is mandated by various governments as a protection for children Google (not MIT) does not allow use of a Google account created for minors to be used with the main App Inventor server by minors. Sorry, it is not “in the hands of MIT to fix this” Google requirement. No one is forbidding students to use the tool, only to log into the server using Google credentials.

MIT provides an alternative server at code.appinventor.mit.edu . This server permits people to login to App Inventor without having an account at all. Once they log in They are shown a four word revisit code. If they write that code down, they can use it in the future to go back to the system and access the projects they created. In essence it’s like an account that’s just identified by four words. It should be possible for your Technovision ‘girls from 10 to 18 years old’ use the code… alternative server and use App Inventor 2.

Hope you understand.

@ewpatton is this correct? if yes, probably it would be a good idea to follow that advice?

Taifun

@EVega
As the manager of the Google Family Link account, you can turn on access by 3rd party (i.e., non-Google) websites using these instructions:

https://support.google.com/families/answer/9204736?hl=en&ref_topic=7336331

@chargio AFAIK, there is no process for 3rd party web apps to request an allowance in Family Link. Google does have a program whereby they work with teachers to identify allowable educational apps but that is driven from Google’s end. Is that what you’re referencing? If you have a pointer to this, we’re happy to follow up with Google.

It’s also the case that the family link tool is much newer than either App Inventor or Technovation. We do have the code.appinventor.mit.edu server that @SteveJG mentioned to address concerns about access to Google accounts. Other login options may be added in the future.

It’s not possible for my 13 year old son with his Google account which is managed by Google family. It always shows 403
Error: access_denied
Application App Inventor Authentication

@Matthias_P Please try the advice in the posts in this thread Matthias. If you still have issues, post here again and tell us what you tried.

I understand the security concerns. I haven’t been able to find a way to tell Google that the App Inventor webpage is safe to login, although when I was testing first I thought I had found something that could help. Alas, I haven’t been able to find it again.

We are in fact using the non-login version, and the application is amazing, seeing 10 and 11 year old girls coding so easily is a great experience. By the way, the same application works with Google for schools (same girls, same ages), so thanks

If I find a way to ask Google to add the application to the list of approved log in sites, I will update this thread.