Testing the next release of MIT App Inventor (nb187)

More specifically, the bug in the TableArrangement throws an error, so any components that are in the Screen after the TableArrangement won't be instantiated correctly. I've submitted a patch to fix this and it should be in the next test release.

What happened to the apsolute arrangement? I can't see her on the list :grin:

Unfortunately I ran into a bunch of issues that I haven't had time to resolve, so it won't make it into this release. Hopefully once the Appathon is wrapped up I will have more time to devote to getting that finished.

This may be due to the fact that existing apps are grandfathered in during the upgrade to Android 11 whereas newly installed apps will not be allowed to write to restricted locations. If you uninstall and reinstall the companion, it should lose the exception and behave similarly to the compiled APK.

1 Like

Honestly I don't know why I didn't use errors for this haha. I looked back at the git history, and it seems I just didn't think of that. Maybe it was because I had fixed deprecation around the same time? But yeah this should use errors. Sadly I don't have time to put in a fix for this right now :confused: but if someone were to put up a PR I'd be more than happy to review it.

Thanks for trying out the new dropdown blocks :slight_smile: I really appreciate you giving them a look and finding those bugs!

1. If the file "foto.jpg" already exists in the folder /Download then it is possible to copy it to "foto.jpg" or → foto2.jpg:

grafik

2. If "foto.jpg" does not exists in the folder /Download:

grafik

No, un- / reinstalling Companion app doesn't change anything.
It behaves in exactly the same way - as described above.

But if I create the APK and run it, it is (of course) not possible to write (save, copy) to /Download (because on Android 11, targetSdk=30), WRITE permission is ignored - does no longer exists).

So for the Companion app WRITE permission might be declared this way (to avoid this issue with Companion):

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" android:maxSdkVersion="28" />

as I already I mentioned here:

We have updated http://ai2-test.appinventor.mit.edu/ with some new fixes based on earlier reports. Thanks for everyone who has reported issues so far.

Bug fixes:

• Fix an issue where closing the ListPicker caused a stack overflow (@MohamedTamer94)
  • Fix issues related to the updated behavior of the File component
  • Fix typeblocking for some dictionary blocks
  • Fix a bug related to the TableArrangement
  • Fix a bug preventing assets and extensions from loading properly in the companion
6 Likes

Again: Listing of the assets does not work (tested with the APK):

So please show the block(s) how to list the assets.

Note:
You don't have to be a prophet to predict that there will be chaos after the update if even seasoned users have trouble understanding the new filesystem.

Try it with an empty textblock as directoryName
Edit: the old logic // for assets is now obsolete...
Taifun

1 Like

Light slowly comes into the dark: :wink:

grafik

3 Likes

Were helper blocks tested with extensions? Because I am getting an error.

I am using the UCR source to build the extension

1 Like

You already suggested it in post #27

now there are three four posts cluttering up the topic.....

Ok, sorry, as no one had answered me I didn't know if you had seen it, I'm really sorry.

Here's an example where I copy files from the assets to the app private directory. You could also use the private directory, but that's more complicated to verify. This worked in both the companion and APK on a Samsung tablet running Android 10.

HelloPurrAssets.aia (186.0 KB)

Tested on Android 11, Companion:

Since I don't have the ability to upload to GooglePlay I had to extract the apk from aab file..

Player component doesn't play sounds from assets, neither do I get any error.

Can someone confirm this.
MusiPlayMIT.aia (3.4 MB)

P.S. It works if build as apk..

1 Like

Obviously the same problem as Kodular.

Did you also check this with the TaifunPlayer?

Just tried and neither does Taifun's player work but this one at least tells me that it can't load audio file..

Thanks for the AAB reports. I've put it on my calendar to look at it this afternoon. If I had to guess, my first thought is that the assets are ending up in a different location when the APK is reconstructed from the AAB than where App Inventor puts them by default in the APK structure.

5 Likes