Puzzling REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission error

Hi, I had same problem and was able to solve it. I've send email to google and explain my problem and they reply this:
"To fully remove the permission, kindly upload a compliant version of your app to all affected tracks to supersede the current release on those tracks.

Additionally, I have noticed that you haven't fully accomplished your app's App Content Section (Sensitive Permissions and APIs). You won't be able to submit releases or updates to your app if this section is not fully accomplished. If your app will not be using Sensitive Permissions, you may just indicate it on the description box under this section."

So I have accomplished section about Sensitive Permission (REQUEST_INSTALL_PERMISSION) - just check Non of above in Main Objective and put that 'this permission is removed in this submission' in the text box. After that I still wasn't able to submit new version but on the next day submission was successful.(I guess it takes some time to approve changes in App Contetn section).

I hope it will help you guys.

1 Like

So just like I said.

Apologies for the delay - putting out fires at work.
This was the reply I received (which totally ignores the issue I brought up with them):

"Hi developers at RedRon,

Thanks for contacting the Google Play team.

Status: Latest app Flowmatic controller (appinventor.ai_Doodooronron.Flowmatic_BT_V25) update not available on Google Play

We’ve reviewed your appeal request and found that your app is not compliant with Google Play policies. If you submitted an update to an existing app, the version published prior to the update is still available on Google Play. I’ve included details below about the specific issue with your app and what you can do to get your app back on Google Play.

Step 1: Review the policy issues with your app

We found that your App bundle version 38 is not compliant with how REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission is allowed to be used. Permitted use involves apps with core functionalities that require the installation of app packages for interoperability purposes.

Specifically, we found the following issues:

We’ve reviewed your app but determined that the use of the permission is not directly related to the core purpose of the app.

The REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission allows an application to request the installation of app packages.​​ To use this permission, your app’s core functionality must include:

1. Sending or receiving app packages, and
  2. Enabling user-initiated installation of app packages.

Permitted functionalities include any of the following:

• Web browsing or search
  • Communication services that support attachments
  • File sharing, transfer or management
  • Enterprise device management
  • Backup and restore
  • Device migration / phone transfer

The REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission may not be used to perform self updates, modifications, or the bundling of other APKs in the asset file unless for device management purposes. All updates or installing of packages must abide by Google Play’s Device and Network Abuse policy and must be initiated and driven by the user.

For more help addressing this issue, read more in our Help Center.

If you believe that your use case is policy compliant, provide the following details:

• Please verify that the version of the app submitted for review is working as intended and that the app description on the Google Play store accurately reflects the core functionality that requires the use of REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission.
  • Make any necessary corrections or modifications to meet the policy requirement.
  • Submit an updated declaration with clear and relevant video demonstrating the core feature’s dependency on REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission.

Please update your app to fix this issue. You may also want to double check that your app complies with all other Developer Program Policies.

Step 2: Submit a compliant update or remove the permission from your app

Once you’re ready to submit a compliant version of your app:

1. Make the necessary updates to address the issue identified above or please remove the permission from your manifest and in-app functionality.
  2. Double check that your app is compliant with all other Developer Program Policies.
  3. Sign in to Play Console and submit the update to your app.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for working with us to fix the policy issue and for your continued support of Google Play.

Regards,
Jenny
The Google Play Team"

Google has now removed my app from the Play store because of the offending permission, but I still cannot upload the update (which you, Anke, have already verified has no such permission).
I still cannot get past this screen.

Thanks for the suggestion, Damian, but even when I select "None of these", I still can't progress past that screen, even after several days.

Did you also give corresponding explanations to all (in my case there are eight) guidelines? If not, you will see yellow warnings in this area.

As I suggested, did you upload a new version (version code +1) as an internal test track? If so, show what is displayed in the Play Dev Console under "Internal test".

I've gone through this process of publishing and updating apps on the Play Store well over 1000 times over the last 10 years, so I should have encountered this or a similar problem at some point.

So let someone experienced look at your computer/Play Dev Console to locate/identify the problem. It shouldn't be a big deal.

grafik

Unfold and post it.

Then....

Then......

And when I "View app bundles and APKs",.......

Maybe I'm misunderstanding Google's workflow here, but it seems that I'm being asked to edit and remove a permission from an app that has been previously published then removed.

Even if I'm being obtuse and stupid, I'm sure that the whole convoluted process could be made much more intuitive.

Yes, definitely.

Write to Google Dev support again and tell them that you have uploaded a new app version that does NOT have REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES declared in the manifest. However, you keep getting the same error message over and over again (for weeks).
WHY? WHERE IS THE PROBLEM?

PS: And please don't send an automatically generated answer, but a specific one - concerning my case.

1 Like

Yes, I took a look at your Play Dev console and have the same problem, even after removing all other tracks.

It seems you are not the only one:

You must ask Google again (as I already mentioned) and if necessary, you must file an objection.

1 Like

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/thread/206837186?hl=en&msgid=206855989

:upside_down_face:

1 Like

One word that describes the whole situation: GOOGLE. It's better to have as little to do with them as possible and life is more beautiful...
Android would be better without google, but since they sensed money in it, unfortunately, we have them on our minds...

2 Likes

Thanks for the useful research. It's good to know that I'm not completely crazy but not so good that Google has been informed of this glitch many times, but have done nothing about it after several months and several frustrating weeks for me.

It's also ludicrous that I have to upload a link to a random video to work around the glitch in their procedure. I'll have to think carefully about which video to link to.
I think Kafka's "The Castle" is most appropriate The Castle | Franz Kafka [FULL AUDIOBOOK] - YouTube
or perhaps "The Trial" (Audiobook) The Trial - Franz Kafka - YouTube

Definitely, as I've been saying for years.
But like I said a while ago, Google's time (of paternalism and manipulation) is running out... (like that of the other tec giants).

So, I appealed the decision with the following:

Appeal details

Ticket number 3-8304000034092

Violation
Request Install Packages Permission: Permission use is not directly related to your app's core purpose.

Appeal details
The version (38) that mysteriously had this permission in the manifest was removed from the store by you, despite multiple attempts to upload compliant versions that do NOT have REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES declared in the manifest. These attempts to publish updates have consistently been blocked for NO logical reason. I keep getting the same automatic nonsensical error message over and over again (for weeks). WHY? WHERE IS THE PROBLEM? The dev console obviously has a bug as many others have the same problem. This has cost me and my customers many frustrating hours battling a broken system PS: And please don't send an automatically generated answer, but a specific one - addressing the specific issue in my case.

Submitted

• Jun 20, 2023, 5:58 PM

The reply I received was a copy/paste of previous ones that required me to remove the permission from the previously published version (months ago) that they had removed, not the updated one that I was trying to publish.

Hi developers,

Thanks for contacting the Google Play team.

Status: App Flowmatic controller (appinventor.ai_Doodooronron.Flowmatic_BT_V25) not available on Google Play

We’ve reviewed your appeal request and found that your app is not compliant with Google Play policies. I’ve included details below about the specific issue with your app and what you can do to get your app back on Google Play.

Step 1: Review the policy issue with your app

We found that your app version 38 is not compliant with how REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission is allowed to be used. Permitted use involves apps with core functionalities that require the installation of app packages for interoperability purposes.

Specifically, we found the following issue:

We’ve reviewed your app but determined that the use of the permission is not directly related to the core purpose of the app.

The REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission allows an application to request the installation of app packages.​​ To use this permission, your app’s core functionality must include:

Sending or receiving app packages, and
Enabling user-initiated installation of app packages.

Permitted functionalities include any of the following:

Web browsing or search
Communication services that support attachments
File sharing, transfer or management
Enterprise device management
Backup and restore
Device migration / phone transfer

The REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission may not be used to perform self updates, modifications, or the bundling of other APKs in the asset file unless for device management purposes. All updates or installing of packages must abide by Google Play’s Device and Network Abuse policy and must be initiated and driven by the user.

For more help addressing this issue, read more in our Help Center.

If you believe that your use case is policy compliant, provide the following details:

Please verify that the version of the app submitted for review is working as intended and that the app description on the Google Play store accurately reflects the core functionality that requires the use of REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission.
Make any necessary corrections or modifications to meet the policy requirement.
Submit an updated declaration with clear and relevant video demonstrating the core feature’s dependency on REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission.

Please update your app to fix this issue. You may also want to double check that your app complies with all other Developer Program Policies.

Step 2: Submit a compliant update or remove the permission from your app

Once you’re ready to submit a compliant version of your app:

Make the necessary updates to address the issue(s) identified above or please remove the permission from your manifest and in-app functionality.
Double check that your app is compliant with all other Developer Program Policies.
Sign in to Play Console and submit the update to your app.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for working with us to fix the policy issue and for your continued support of Google Play.
Regards,
Luca
The Google Play Team

So, another few days wasted banging my head against a brick wall.

Yes, you have to be persistent if you want to get ahead on Google. I would reply:
"It's still unclear what to do (and why) and I see the exact same problem here: android - Google Play Store REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES Block - Stack Overflow

Why should / do I have to explain why I need a permission that I actually do NOT need and do NOT use? And which is also no longer declared in the Manifest in the last (rejected) release (version code=42)."

From a certain point of persistence you get individualized answers (and no more AI / robot replies). :wink: :pray:

PS:
I was in contact with Google Developer Support for weeks a few years ago because of an alleged violation of the "Repetitive Content" policy. Three of my paid apps were removed from the Play Store overnight. In short: After dozens of emails and queries, all of my blocked apps were finally approved again in the Play Store. See also here: Today My Play console account has been terminated for some reason please help me - #14 by bodymindpower - Discuss - Kodular Community

Btw, this is NOT a bug with AI2, but an problem with Google Play Console / Store.

Yes, it is rather off-topic for the AI2 forum, but thankfully, there's an end to the whole sorry saga.

The message on the dashboard today was "Violation fixed". That's all. No "Sorry, we screwed up".

So the app is finally back up in the Play store, but only because I played their game and pretended that my app had the offending permissions, said many "Mea culpas", uttered 6 Hail Marys and supplied a link to Kafka's audiobook "The Castle" on Youtube.

Totally bizarre.

Thanks for everyone's help in this.

1 Like

Anyway, congratulations. It seems you haven't gotten past the stage of automatically generated replies (emails) from Google. The whole procedure for this permission can actually only be described as idiotic. Unfortunately, you are dependent on these quasi-monopolists (Google & Apple) if you want to offer / sell apps.

What do we learn from this? Persevere and push until you reach your goal, as idiotic as it may seem. Actually, Google should have realized by now that the tide was turning and people were migrating in droves and switching to Apple.

2 Likes

Very true. I've had my own struggles with the Apple developers' console in the past and used to hold up the Google Play environment as a better way of doing things. Now I'm not so sure.

The issue with Apple that I had most trouble with was an app that monitored a 'wellness' device that we sold. It just received and displayed some parameters and a clock that counted down to the end of the session. Anyway, Apple told me that they considered the device that we sold as a medical advice and they wanted copies of the medical authority approvals from every country that the app was available for download.

I couldn't believe their authoritarianism and withdrew the app. Now when a customer asks for an iOS version of the app, I just point to Apple and say "Take it up with them".

Thanks again, Anke.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.