Procedures already exist in a new project

Hi.

Several times in past projects it happened to me to trip a bug when clicking in the procedures drawer (I had to close the navigator and restart again MIT App Inventor to be able to continue working on the project)

But today I started a new project, and when clicked on the projects drawer, I discovered that some of the procedures of another projects were already there.

In fact, I previously grabbed from the back pack just one of them.

Does this give you a hint of what might be happening?

This is the first that I have heard of this bug. Procedures exist in the workspace as part of a procedure database object. This is not a global object, rather it is per workspace, so there should be no overlap between projects.

What browser and version are you using?

Firefox 108.0.1

Did you have only one instance of App Inventor open in your browser?

Yes.
I just was working on an old project, and started a new project.
At the beguining there are no procedures in the new project (appart of the two templates to create new procedures).
But as soon as I drag one of the procedures of the old project from the back pack to the new project, 15 more procedures of the old project appear in the procedures drawer.

new information !!

1 Like

This sounds similar to Sprite Cannibalism in the Canvas

I keep testing.
The same thing happens as soon as I drag any of the blocks that I have in the back pack.
Even if what I drag is a simple text block (not necesarily a procedure), the 15 procedures appear in my procedure drawer.
Should I try to empty the back pack (to check if this solves the problem), or do you prefer to keep it as it is (in case it helps to find a bug)?

This is the bug that sometimes trips, when clickg the procedures drawer. I got it one more time.
Technical Data to be Submitted:

notes = Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0
foundIn = nb190b
faultData = com.google.gwt.event.shared.UmbrellaException: Exception caught: (TypeError) : a.getFieldValue(...) is null
projectId = 5342351447687168

You can avoid the problem by dragging in downloaded blocks images of your procedures from your PC.

Thanks.
In fact, is not a problem to me (just dont use the blocks available, if they are not required)
I just wanted to let you know, in case it happens to someone else, and you consider some fixing is desirable.

Something has changed.
Now, If I drag from the backpack a procedure created in another project, it gives me an error "select a valid item in the drop down", and this procedure is not available on the projects drawer.

That is probably a different problem caused by the get value blocks. Your procedure should have an input for the value....

You are right.
But I tried a different one, and the name of the procedure in the procedures drawer doesn't seem to match the name of the procedure I dragged from the backpack.

By the way: I previously have the backpack empty, in order to check that this avoids the 15 blocks in the projects drawer of a new project issue.

Could well be it is time for a reset....no-one else is seeing this issue, so it appears to be a local glitch.

1. Export all your projects in AI2 as aia to your computer
  2. Delete all projects from main screen and trash
  3. Uninstall Companion app from devices (ensure storage is cleared)
  4. Fresh install the latest companion app to devices
  5. Upload required aia projects from computer to AI2

See if that fixes things

Thanks a lot TIM
I did your recommended steps 1, 2 and 5.
Now I just have a couple of projects in AI2, and an almost empty backpack.
This way, the relation between backpack and procedures drawer seems to work fine.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.