Permission causes app to crash?

I was just stating what worked for me. I didn't change anything from the app but it seemed to work after that.

As for the read and write I was just following an online guide and they had those ticked so I did the same.

Here is a simple test aia, that saves a text file in the ASD on all Android versions:
ReadWriteToASD_extVer2.aia (8.6 KB)

grafik

Blocks

Note: READ/WRITE permissions are only required on Android < 4.4 (API 19, KitKat). So I used version 2 of my extension. It's sufficient to ask for WRITE permission because it implicitily grants READ permission as wll.

Please post the link to this quide.

So I looked at your example test app that you provided and I see that you have used the exact same setup for the file as me except with read and write permission options not selected. So this doesn't relate to the problem I was having really, as like I said it was able to write the file okay and the file was visible in the ASD its just wasn't able to find it using the same path for some reason. Yet when I reinstalled it just worked and was able to find the file fine. Not sure what you meant by Nothing I wrote makes sense as what I said was what was happening !

As for linking the guide I mentioned, it was just a video I saw of someone using the file component from YouTube, if I have some free time I will try find it again and link it here.

If like you say the read write permissions don't need to be selected unless using an older version of android maybe that should be mentioned on the storage documentation page:
http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/reference/components/storage.html#File

But even though your provided file wasn't exactly a solution I did implement you extension that you used in your screen initialize to prevent issues for other users so thanks for that.

Then it should be possible to reproduce the problem. I doubt that.
So post an example (aia).

In what respect, what did not work?

I am not gonna waste my time trying to reproduce a bug , just because you think I am making it up (why would I waste peoples time by lying about an issue I was having?)

Your aia is not a solution to the problem I mentioned as its does exactly the same thing as my file. There is no difference except the read write permissions, but like I said mine ended up working with those selected so seems like that was not what was causing the issue.

But you wasted our time by talking about a bug that doesn't exist.

However, that is the question. But I didn't claim that you were lying, I guessed that you were wrong and this error actually does not occur.