Modify Bennedum Sqlite Extension?

Dear @TIMAI2,
Can you help me?
I have an app using original Tom's extension and use many of it's functions (thus I can not use yr simplified extension).
There is however ExportDatabase that does not work due to an error in (obsolete) private function resolveFileName - so the fix is simple to remove it in the line :

os = new FileOutputStream(resolveFileName(fileName));

so that it reads

os = new FileOutputStream(fileName);

and have user prepare directory/filename (I know it will work only in ASD but it is Ok) .

However I do not have skill to compile such modified extension - can I ask you a favor to do it for me and I hope for other members too and repost it here?

I guess porting yr ListFixer would be nice but it is not a must as I have a workaround.
Best regards
Kuba

Use my extension, it will do everything Tom's extension does.

Thanks for so quick answer !!!

Unfortunately, SimpleSqliteV3 does not have all functions of Tom's- in particular, the Upgrade and Async calls which my app uses heavily ... or there is another heavier version I missed ?
Best rgds, Kuba

It is a bit more complicated than that :slight_smile:

I do not see an "Upgrade" in the original extension? Do you mean Update ? If so, this can be handled with the appropriate SQL statement.

With regard to Async, I have chosen to not include it, in my view, 99% of situations can be handled with additional blocks. SimpleSqlite is intended to be...simple.

re May be more complicated, but filename is messed-up as part of it was duplicated (if u put anything as filename, set DebugDialog = true then u will see what I mean). It looked to me resolveFileName might have been responsible - of course I can't be sure until I compile it but my Android studio does not want to pull appinventor imports from appinventor repo (probably it is much more complex and I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong - this is why I'm seeking help with tooling)

re Upgrade - I meant functionality (being event DatabaseUpgrade) not function.

re Async - in case of this app I think it is needed as without it did ANR

Thanks again for you involvement !
Kuba sp5nzf

Good luck with the fork.

If it helps, this is some part of what I did:

CODE
//FILE PATH FUNCTIONS

private InputStream openInputStream(final String fileName) throws IOException {
    if (fileName.startsWith("//")) {
      if (isRepl)
        return new FileInputStream(getReplFilePath() + fileName.substring(2));
      else
        return context.getAssets().open(fileName.substring(2));
    } else
      return new FileInputStream(resolveFileName(fileName));
  }

@SuppressWarnings("deprecation")
  private String resolveFileName(String fileName) {
    String completeFileName = fileName;
    if (fileName.startsWith("/")) {
      completeFileName = getExternalStoragePath() + fileName;
    } else if (fileName.startsWith("//")) {
      if (isRepl) {
        fileName = fileName.substring(2);
        completeFileName = getReplFilePath() + fileName;
      }
    } else {
      completeFileName = GetPrivateDirPath() + "/" + fileName;
    }
    return completeFileName;
  }

@SuppressWarnings("deprecation")
  public String getExternalStoragePath(){
    if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.Q){
      return context.getExternalFilesDir(null).getAbsolutePath();
    }else{
      return Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory().getAbsolutePath();
    }
  }

public String GetPrivateDirPath(){
    return context.getFilesDir().getAbsolutePath();
  }

private String getReplFilePath(){
    if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.Q) {
      return getExternalStoragePath() + "/assets/";
    } else {
    //  return getExternalStoragePath() + "/AppInventor/assets/";
      return context.getExternalFilesDir(null).getAbsolutePath() + "/AppInventor/assets/";
    }
  }

this is only thing it would do... but I can do it in blocks outside of extension. This is why I want to get rid of resolveFileName

So this IS easy. WHat is NOT easy is how to compile it (now I'm stack with no place to pull com.google.appinventor.* from

Use Rush and Intellij Idea, copy the aix code over, edit as required (including removing all code not required in Rush), then compile.

thanks @TIMAI2 .
it looks like I have no clue how to make it find DesignerComponent component :frowning:
same for category in @SimpleProperty(category

good night

Dear @TIMAI2,
which JAVA do you use ?

The Rush docs says 16 but it throws an error that "Unsupported class file major version 60"
Regards
Kuba

version 8, Rush also advises 8, unless you are desugaring some elements.

1 Like

Dear @TIMAI2 ,
Thanks a lot for support and inspiration !
It works and I'm testing Tab's extension fixed for ASD (4 functions: ImportDatabase, ExportDatabase, InsertFile, ExecuteFile). Will seek Your advice how to share once tested.

Dear All Beginners,
You will have to get rid of some Annotations to rush-compile extensions from Niotron etc - see Rush docs.

Hi @TIMAI2 ,

I am testing your extension and all works as expected. I just have a question for you. Why do we have to get a return from this block:

And why don't create a block without return, like this:

In order to not to be necessary put the "SQL Command executed" in a place, once we have ON ERROR triggering the result...

Of course we can turn the label to FALSE and not show it, but it could be interesting the way I said...

You will want the output (answer) from any query/sql you run.....
Just saves on another event block, and this is how it was done in the original extension, so I didn't change it.

As I have siad in my documentation:

I have forked this code, and stripped it back to make a barebones or expert sqlite extension, far fewer blocks, but retaining all the functionality.

Ok, thank you for your answer. Now my doubt is: I get data from a MySQL database and it return a JSON with names and data. How can I use this JSON to insert data into SQLite table?

TIA,

You would need to parse the json values to be able to load them into a suitable sqlite table.

1 Like