Is there anyway I can Make an app for ios?

To find the solution to the application that I am making and I also need for iPhones, I have continued working with an "AI2-like environment", but once I have it almost finished I have noticed that its performance is much lower than AI2.

There is some information that I save in a csv table and then show a page that shows 10 in 10 elements (paged) and while AI2 is tremendously fast, the other "AI2-like environment" can take more than 5 seconds to show me the information (with the same data).

I don't know if it is due to still using the free version of said "AI2-like environment" ... but I am concerned that the PRO version may continue to be that slow.

My heartfelt appreciation for the great work you are doing at MIT with AI2.

Hi @SteveJG

Sorry to ask you again. "Embarcadero" needs to have a mac to make the applications for iOS (as it happens with Xamarin?

I had my hopes pinned on that payment environment which is like AI2 without being AI2 but its performance is very poor. Whether I do the "installable" for Android or for iOS there is a screen whose operation is mediocre (above generating an executable that is 10 times greater than that made with AI2)

Hello Luis.

I have used Delphi since 1997 but never attempted an iOS app. I do not know whether

I was at a presentation several years ago at an Embarcadero road show where they demonstrated Android/iOS capabilities. As I recall, they used a PC but they also had to have an iOS device to demonstrate iOS.

Delphi is like a Swiss Army Knife; lots of options. That makes some activities clunky. No compiler is wart free. I like Delphi and have made Android apps using it. Never tried ios.

An alternative I also used is B4A (it is now free) for Android. It works well for Android. There is a version called B4X that I believe makes both Android and iOS apps that I never tried.

I have used Android Studio. Great compiler, however it to has its issues. Build your Android apps with it and perhaps iOS using Swift (which I have never used).

My experience is that compiling times for Delphi, B4A and Android Studio are significantly longer than App Inventor users experience. AI is simplified, the other stuff can do everything and contains the extra baggage.

1 Like

If you only had to install on Android, the MIT version would be more than enough. The program works correctly with it.

The problem comes from having to make the version for iOS. I have redone the application with xThunkable but I have found that the execution is very slow at some points (unacceptably slow). Using the same algorithm (with the necessary differences because they are different systems), one thing that with AI2 executes immediately, with the other system it takes me many seconds (and with many I mean more than 20 seconds). I was reviewing the code and cut the times in half (yes ... before it took a minute to capture some data that AI2 processes in 1 second).

I do not understand how such a big difference is possible. I only use lists and local storage. Performing the tests with MIT I have managed to enter more than 90 rows of data without problems, and with the other, as I increase the amount of data to enter the process becomes slower and slower. The 20 s are with 11 or 12 rows. I think it would take me less time to write the data on paper.

This is all very frustrating.

To do the developments I use a Windows computer and I don't have access to any Mac, except an old iPhone from the commercials to do the tests. If we had a Mac, I would have no problem trying to develop the application with it, but we don't have one.

Hello again.

Sorry for the question, but those of you who develop for iOS and Android, could you tell me what environments you use for both systems?

From what I've seen, @Anke I think he has a Mac for iOS development, maybe with Swift or xCode? How much can both systems cost?

For Android development, do you use MIT?

In my company we are not dedicated to the mobile application market, but we want to implement a tool for them and with Android I would have it covered with the application that I have made with AI2, but for iPhones ...

I have done the development with thunkable, but for my solution it works fatal, much slower and in Android there are things that do not work correctly.

Following @ChrisWard answers, I am trying to look at B4x and Altova. Today I spoke with a former colleague from college and they told me that their company uses Xamarin but they have a Mac.

The topic of iOS development is getting very frustrating.

The truth is that I do not like the apple brand at all, and as my wife says the "karma" for that lack of love for the brand is turning against me.

Thanks and best regards.

Either you wait a few more months until the build server for iOS is available or you create the app (ipa) with Xcode / Swift, for which you need a Mac. I do it with Xcode & Swift on a Mac Mini (> 1000 EUR + 100 $ for Apple DevAccount, annually).

However, creating an iOS app with Xcode / Swift has nothing in common with AI2. You have to start from scratch.

1 Like

I would seriously look into this, I think it would save time and money not just in development, hardware etc but also when updates are required.

Yes, a web app can always be considered as a possibility. Unfortunately, many features of a native app cannot be implemented with it.

In other words: Web apps have limitations since they can’t access a mobile device’s native features.
Maybe a hybrid app using Flutter or React Native ...

1 Like

Depends whether it actually needs to be a web app or simply a mobile friendly website. If a web app, then take a look at Spider Basic.

1 Like
1 Like

Although we have weighed it, for the moment we have ruled out the web application option.

The solution I am working on involves less technical and commissioning complexity.

In the case that it was a web application:

• In the facilities where it would be used, it is not guaranteed that we will always have an internet connection.
  • In case of problems on the server side, the failure would be more global.
  • It is difficult to scale the volume of traffic that we would have and on top of that that traffic would be very punctual in time.

Oh! I just came up with a new option! JavaScript with cookies! Please don't make me think so much!) :man_facepalming:

Hi Luis

The website can be stored on the device as part of the App Assets, no internet required, so your 'host' App is essentially just a Web View Component. That might make it much easier to produce an IOS version of the App when App Inventor IOS is ready.

Or not have an App at all and just view the on-device site with the phone's browser, a one-off download from your website.

If it were my company, I would be seriously considering taking people off IOS and have everyone use Android - a single platform to manage rather than two. Even when you can get an App onto IOS, I think you will find there is more hassle and cost than to do the same for Android.

1 Like

The application needs to store information and use part of the information to dynamically generate a page (thanks to the PuraVida @Taifun example).

Through Companion I have already tested the application on Android and iOS. In both it works. I'm waiting for the iOS build project to go further to see how this can be done with them.

I wish that my company did not use iPhones, but my boss is in love with the apple brand (and some commercial too). Personally ... well I'll tell you that one day I passed by an apple store and the automatic doors didn't even open ... but hey ...

The issue is that the application will not be used only by my company staff, in fact it is not aimed at my company staff and although "I estimate that" taking into account the target audience, the iOS version will be used minimally, it is possible have someone out there to use it.

A summary of the application is:
Through a PC application, I generate QR codes that contain user information and that after scanning, the user's information is stored on the mobile.
With that information, I generate a QR code for the user to identify himself to computers so that he can do a series of tasks (and even define more or less the task to be carried out).
Once the work is done, the computer generates a summary that is communicated to the mobile through another QR code, so that this information can be consulted.

Sounds like you are working for the CIA :grin:

1 Like

I doubt it. I'm sure if the CIA wanted to make us speed up iOS build release they'd have a way of doing it...

1 Like

Sure! but no :pensive:... hopefully!

If I worked at the CIA, I don't think I'd have a problem getting a Mac either. No, I work in a company related to the food sector, but that does not mean that sometimes I do something cool! :hugs:

Hello everyone,
I am following this conversation with great interest since I am intending to program apps for the patients of my clinic : some come with an android phone :grinning: but a lot of them come with iphone :sob: ... well, I am planning to make an app in the context of a graduation, but if I rely on the OS of the patient it's a problem :wink:

I was wondering if using an Android Emulator for IOS could be an issue. Did someone already try ?
@ChrisWard I keep in mind the idea of making a web app although I am not sure how to do it :wink:

:wave:

Hello Hé Lène

It all depends entirely on what the App is actually required to do.

Clearly a non-starter! :upside_down_face:

Clearly a non-starter! :upside_down_face:

Sorry, I am not sure to understand : do you mean it is not for beginners (like I am) ?? do you have experience with it ? what would you recomand ?
thx

Well, I meant that you cannot use an Android Emulator with IOS - what were you thinking of? Do you have a link we can see?