HOWTO : Make our own appinventor and run in on localhost

this is a video tutorial -

2 Likes

I'm reclassifying this into the development category.

1 Like

sure @ewpatton :sweat_smile: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Do I have to have an existing Google Cloud SDK project so that the ant RunLocalBuildServer work? I know that the question may look kind of trivial but I am a complete beginner when it comes to working with the cmd and App Inventor

2 Likes

ant RunLocalBuildServer does exactly what it says on the tin. It runs the build server locally (wherever 'locally' is). If you run it on your laptop it's running on your laptop. If you copy the sources to a server in GCE and run it there then the server will be running in GCE. We typically only use this command for development purposes. In production, we run a Docker Swarm for the build servers (usually 15 but sometimes more) so we create a Docker image with the buildserver binaries and deploy that.

3 Likes

I got you and everything worked successfully but I had another question, how exactly do I use the files in the appinventor-sources in order to add additional features just like in App Inventor Java Bridge, for instance when it converts .aia to .java files. For example, let's say I wanted to implement a debugger just like in Intellij (Java/Kotlin) do I work directly in a Java IDE like Intellij or do I have to work with Javascript on VS code for instance. Hope you find my question clear :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance

1 Like

I don't know that the Java Bridge code was ever open sourced, so you'd have to implement something like that from scratch.

For development, most of the dev team uses IntelliJ and it's fairly intelligent about how to import the App Inventor sources. Implementing a debugger is on our list of projects, so you can certainly try to do it but it is a really challenging problem for a number of reasons. Caveat emptor.

2 Likes