How do I present a very large number of paragraphs, each with its own attributes?

Try cutting the 42000 line CSV file into 42 CSV files, each 1000 lines long.
Upload them one by one into the Media folder of a new project, and see if it will build.

you might need to do this on the code.appinventor.mit.edu server.

2 Likes

Hello Boyd

Before you go too far along the road, invest at least a day doing the free MIT tutorials. It will save you from headaches and hair loss (unfortunately, using App Inventor triggers grey hair no matter what).

https://www.professorcad.co.uk/appinventortips#TipsLearn Learning App Inventor

Also the Forum has a Tutorial and Guides Section (which will be very useful once armed with the basics)
https://community.appinventor.mit.edu/c/tutorials-and-guides/12

1 Like

Haven't pursued the "large data" problem yet. Had to model the idea first just to get a handle on what the app would be like.

The criteria for "importance" of any paragraph is based on how many times that paragraph is cited--hence the title "Most Cited Constitution." So I modeled the idea, and it is attached. Parts of the code may need improvement and some things are hard-coded. But I'm really liking the app concept. Just may need to use a different tool to create the real product.

I used part of the US constitution as a model. Article I has 10 sections and I treated each section as a paragraph. Total reading time is set to 100 hours which is of course not true, just shows how the slider would work.

Constitution_Reader.aia (19.5 KB)

I appreciate everyone's ideas on how to handle 42,000 paragraphs.

1 Like

In any case, not like you try to do it in your example app.
Try to make a data structure that you can store in a csv file on a Google drive, a mysqli database, a CloudDB, a FireDB or whatever. You can never hope to keep it all in your app, and the users of your app will not be happy to load an elephant in their phone.

Then, instead of using an ActivityStarter and Chrome, use a WebViewer. You have much more control over that, and for reading text from a website it is more than good enough. It will also prevent your app from exiting all the time, as happened to me, which is very annoying.

More explanation here on the forum, but also in your example app is also required. I read all your posts and tried your app, but it stays a mystery to me what you want to achieve. Start with making something user friendly, the rest will follow.

1 Like