Help using activity starter on app to install other app

i need help trying to get an andriod app to istall another app in andriod 8 and 9 and the documentation is to complex.

see here https://puravidaapps.com/install.php
see also the Q&A section there

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Im trying to compile a list that i can use to figure out how to install apps through another app.
i cant seam to get os 7,8,9,10 it install another app correctly. android keeps changing the packages.

Thanks in advance

-Jack

It would really help if you provided a screenshot of your relevant blocks, so we can see what you are trying to do, and where the problem may be.

To get an image of your blocks, right click in the Blocks Editor and select “Download Blocks as Image”. You might want to use an image editor to crop etc. if required. Then post it here in the community.

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

blocks (1)
blocks (7)
heres the blocks

so what is working? and what is not working?
did you check this?

Taifun

i want to initiate the install directly
i also checked it out and that didnt work, i also tried asking to request install permission and it dosen show up and i also tried the KI04 install extention with no luck. i do not want to manually add the xml line and i compile alot of versions so i dont have to do this every single time.whats working is os 5 os 6 and os 7. i aslo tried putting a button on it like this. blocks (8) and it dosent work

see also

what about using this solution by @Boban?

Taifun

do i have to go though and edit the manifest every time i compile the code?

1. compile the code
  2. decompile the code
  3. all a line to the manifest
  4. compile the code
  5. sign the code( i do not know how to do this)
  6. test on my phone and pray to marry that it works.
  7. repeat because i messed up a peace of code that i worked on for 3 years due to the sheer complexity of it.

what about first testing in the companion app as much as possible?
also you could use the KIO Install extension and drag it into your project without using it… this should add the necessary permission REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES into the manifest without having to add it manually… you could test this and let us know, if this works…if yes, then you will have only step 1, 6 and 7

Taifun

whitch version i have the older one

taken from the extensions directory App Inventor Extensions | Pura Vida Apps

Install App Extension by Juan Antonio

Taifun

see also this discussion

Taifun

i check the completed manifest and it did not add it.

ok... well, that's unfortunate...
@Juan_Antonio could you please check your extension? Would it be possible to add that permission into the manifest?

Taifun

1 Like

In this web a new version with permissions:
android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE, android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE, android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE, android.permission.INTERNET, android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION
http://kio4.com/appinventor/244_extension_instalar_app.htm

but this extension does not work with new versions of Android, 9,10 …

To add permissions to an app, you can use the AskPermission block.

@Juan_Antonio can you update it at some point

the permission REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES must be added in the manifest and this is not possible without an extension...
Taifun

I have updated the com.KIO4.install_v2.aix version, it works for me on Android 9.

This version uses FileProvider
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/support/v4/content/FileProvider

Stackoverflow (Spanish)

You can download and try com.KIO4_install_v2.aix from:
http://kio4.com/appinventor/244_extension_instalar_app.htm

Edit: it does not work on Android 10.

@Taifun he updated the extension why don’t you update your repository on that.

1 Like