Hardware button to trigger an app? (video transmission)

Is there a way to run whatsapp and make a video call upon pressing a hardware button (vol up for example) ?

Sirous

Although it doesn't exactly listen to the hardware buttons, you could use this extension:

You can use the ActivityStarter component to open WhatsApp:

1 Like

Thank you, it may help.
But let me describe what is in my mind.
I want to make a video door bell, which operates over cellular network. Wiring is not possible and wireless communication is not possible due to obstacles.
My project consists of a basic Android phone with a 4g sim card installedat the entrance door. When a person presses a button, the phone calls me via whatsapp. At first the speaker is muted so that the client doesn't recognize it is a phone call. If I answer, a video stream is started from the door phone to my phone, and a two way voice communication also started with loudspeakers activated. If I don't answer, the client won't hear anything.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Sirous

1 Like

Dear community,
Let me describe what is in my mind.
I want to make a video door bell, which operates over cellular network. Wiring is not possible and wireless communication is not possible due to obstacles.
My project consists of a basic Android phone with a 4g sim card, installed at the entrance door.
When a person presses a button (preferably a hardware button), the phone calls me via whatsapp. At first the speaker is muted so that the client doesn't recognize it is a phone call. If I answer, a video stream is started from the door phone to my phone, and a two way voice communication also started with loudspeakers activated. If I don't answer, the client won't hear anything.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Sirous

This seems very complex indeed. I've been musing over this for a while, and I think you'll need something more advanced than just App Inventor.

You might be able to implement this in a different way with Arduino, in conjunction with App Inventor.

1 Like