Google Play console message concerning requestLegacyExternalStorage flag

I entered my Google Play store and had the following in my inbox:

We've detected that your app contains the requestLegacyExternalStorage flag in the manifest file of 1 or more of your app bundles or APKs.

Developers with apps on devices running Android 11+ must use Scoped Storage to give users better access control over their device storage. To release your app on Android 11 or newer after May 5th, you must either:

• Update your app to use more privacy friendly best practices, such as the Storage Access Framework or Media Store API
  • Update your app to declare the All files access ( MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE ) permission in the manifest file, and complete the All files access permission declaration in Play Console from May 5th
  • Remove the All files access permission from your app entirely

For apps targeting Android 11, the requestLegacyExternalStorage flag will be ignored. You must use the All files access permission to retain broad access.

Apps requesting access to the All files access permission without a permitted use will be removed from Google Play, and you won't be able to publish updates.

I don't actually need or even want such access and am wondering how I can go about turning it off.

1 Like

see this answer by @Anke and @vishwas in the Kodular community

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

2 Likes

O.K., it sounds like what's going on is that Google Play sent that notice to an overly-broad group of people. Thank you for clarifying.

1 Like

In summary:

We've detected that your app contains the requestLegacyExternalStorage flag in the manifest file of 1 or more of your app bundles or APKs.

Developers with apps on devices running Android 11+ must use Scoped Storage to give users better access control over their device storage. To release your app on Android 11 or newer after May 5th, you must either:

• Update your app to use more privacy friendly best practices, such as the Storage Access Framework or Media Store API
  • Update your app to declare the All files access ( MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE ) permission in the manifest file, and complete the All files access permission declaration in Play Console from May 5th
  • Remove the All files access permission from your app entirely

For apps targeting Android 11, the requestLegacyExternalStorage flag will be ignored. You must use the All files access permission to retain broad access.

Apps requesting access to the All files access permission without a permitted use will be removed from Google Play, and you won't be able to publish updates.

Did you think to search? Search for requestLegacyExternalStorage and you will find Google Play console message concerning requestLegacyExternalStorage flag

I don't find a good answer
They said ignoring message
But google play is not kidding me to send these messages
It confirms the the problem in Android 29
It confirms in the message the Android 29 packages

Yes, for the moment ignore the message. MIT are aware of the Google's requirements and hopefully will provide a solution . You can alternatively use another Android compiler if you can't wait.

See Anke's advice please.

So ignore this message as it is only a hint what happens if the app (AI2) targets Android 11 (API 30) (→ August 2021).

Summary

There is no need for a resolution until the end of July 2021.

Hello, Google Removed my Application from Play Store for giving a similar reason. Does Anyone get the same issues? I am not target Api 30 although

Yes, anyone who has an app in the Play Store that was created with AI2 or Kodular (with targetSdkVersion=29) will receive this warning / notification. However, this can be ignored as long as AI2 / Kodular is still targeting API 29 (end of July 2021).

What other (similar) reason caused your app to be removed from the Play Store?
(I guess → Repetitive Content).

Hi indrajit,

I have the same issue right now, Google has removed my apps...and we receive the same message as yours during may 2021, the exact same message. API levels 21+....

My apps was removed on 5 July 2021 and we also got the mail as follow :

APK REQUIRES VALID PRIVACY POLICY​
Your app is uploading users' Primary Account information to https://api.sembilankita.com without posting a privacy policy in both the designated field in the Play Developer Console and from within the Play distributed app itself.

I have update the privacy policy to the apps (add privacy policy check box at user registration page), website, as well as google console, but still got rejected, already 3 times update, last one is on 20 Jul 2021.

We are now confuse the reason being removed, is it because the " [requestLegacyExternalStorage] " or "APK REQUIRES VALID PRIVACY POLICY". to find out, I sent the email to googleplay-developer-support@google.com on 20 Jul 2021 help, but still no reply to date.

Now I want to try to translate the privacy policy to English, someone said it can help.

does anyone has the same issue ? any suggestion pls ?

Looks like you need to include your privacy policy on the console AND in your app....

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67668467/privacy-in-google-play-console-apk-requires-valid-privacy-policy

Hi Timay,

Thanks for the answer. I ve done this from the second revision I made, still rejected.

Third revision I add policy check box at user registration page, still got rejected.

Is the any other possibility why is rejected ?

Thanks for the link,

Am pretty sure that I ve put correct link both in apps and console

we currently try to translate the privacy policy to English, someone said it works, let us try. Do you think this can closed the case ?

In the link posted by Anke, it says that the issue was resolved by placing the policy in the language of the community to which the app is directed.

1 Like

After 4 time rejected, I decide to take appeal and here is what I got from Google Play Team :

Thanks for contacting the Google Play team.

I’ve reviewed your appeal request and found that your app, XXXXX (com.XXXX) (App Bundle: 1), is not compliant with Google Play Policy. I’ve included details below about the specific issue with your app and what you can do to get your app on Google Play.

Step 1: Fix the policy issue with your app

During review, we found that your app doesn’t comply with the User Data and Mobile Unwanted Software policies. We don’t allow apps that are potentially harmful to the user experience. You can read through the User Data and Mobile Unwanted Software policy pages for more details and examples of common violations.

For example, your app is uploading users' Primary Account information to https://XXXXXcom without posting a privacy policy in both the designated field in the Play Developer Console and from within the Play distributed app itself.

We understand that you have a new submission with App Bundle: 18, however for further review please deactivate the non-compliant version (App Bundle: 1) before submitting an update. Kindly note that all active APK versions need to be compliant.

Please make appropriate changes to your app, and be sure to address the issues identified above. In addition to your Production release, if you have other release types that you use for testing and/or quality assurance checks (e.g. Internal test, Closed, Open), please make sure to update those tracks as well.

You may also want to double check that your app complies with all other policies listed in the Developer Policy Center as additional enforcement could occur if there are further policy violations.

Step 2: Submit an update to your app
Go to your Play Console.
Select the app.
Go to App bundle explorer.
Select the non-compliant APK/app bundle's App version (App Bundle: 1) at the top right dropdown menu, and make a note of which releases they are under.
Go to the track with the policy issue. It will be one of these 4 pages: Internal / Closed / Open testing or Production.
Near the top right of the page, click Create new release. (You may need to click Manage track first)
If the release with the violating APK is in a draft state, discard the release.
Add the policy compliant version of app bundles or APKs.
Make sure the non-compliant version of app bundles or APKs is under the Not included section of this release. For further guidance, please see the "Not included (app bundles and APKs)" section in this Play Console Help article.
To save any changes you make to your release, select Save.
When you've finished preparing your release, select Review release.

If the non-compliant APK is released to multiple tracks, repeat steps 5-9 in each track.

For example, your app is uploading users' Primary Account information to https://XXXXXX.com without posting a privacy policy in both the designated field in the Play Developer Console and from within the Play distributed app itself.

Help to understand this, pls....I am sure that I ve put the privacy policy inside the apps as well as console, but why they keep saying this ? or am I missed something ?

I finally got the issue closed now.

Thank for everyone who has suggest and reply to my problem.

My apps back on track now..