new features:

• added page count property
  • added page clicked returns page number to webviewstring
  • added scroll to page number from webviewstring
  • developer must set webviewstring = 1 when first displaying pdf
  • no requirement to reload pdf when changing scroll to page
2 Likes

Update:

Now included is an add on extension to allow selection of Assets when the app is compiled. The method used to do this is to write(copy) the asset file to a temporary file in the private directory of the app (there doesn't really appear to be any other way at the time of writing). The temporary file is overwritten when a new asset is loaded. You must ensure that your file naming follows the standard format, e.g. myfile.pdf

You can download the add on extension and see the usage/blocks in the first post.

ViewPdfAddOn extension

1 Like

Hi @TIMAI2 , hope you are having a good time, I wanted to ask that, what block fitts in the web viewer socket in this block if we want to open a specific PDF.
I would be highly grateful if you answer this question

Arnav Tiwari

check 1st post, there is sample blocks there.

2 Likes

One suggestion:
for the pathToPdf, please make it accept string like '//test.pdf' for from assets, and 'test.pdf' for from ASD, thus the user will no need to join string for full path manually.

1 Like

drag a webviewer component into designer and then go to webviewer block and scroll to the extreme end and drag that block out and put it inside the webviewer parameter

1 Like

This is done on purpose, to give the developer the freedom to set the filepath, and to remove the opacity of "built-in" file paths and the peculiarities of the file scopes. Admittedly, I did have to provide the helper extension for the assets path when compiled.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Aarush_Kumar and @Kevinkun for the reply

Arnav Tiwari

1 Like

Then it's better to accept both relevant path and full path.
Is there any developer like to joint full path with more blocks?

1 Like

me, I do :slight_smile:

You are welcome to work on the source if you wish....

Working for me nice extension

Hi how to change background colour i want to white background but even i am changing colours it not working

Are you using the latest version of the extension ?

Did you follow the example blocks in the first post ?

Show your relevant blocks...

Just tested, all working OK here:

BIG UPDATE: View Big PDF

In response to a developer loading (or being unable to load!) a 312 page, 2.5mb PDF file, I have created a second extension that can handle such long files (as well as the shorter ones). intest the developer's PDF crashed out (memory problems) at @ 100 pages. For safety, I set the range limit to 50 pages.

This extension has a helper block that get the count of pages, then returns page ranges in batches of 50, along with a final remainder range. Blocks are then required to allow an end user to iterate over each range, viewing the resultant pdf for each. The main ViewPDF block now has a startPage and endPage socket, which are used, in iteration to apply the page ranges. This block can be used on its own for smaller pdfs, set the startPage to 0 and the endPage to -1. This extension retains the same interactive features as the original, and can also use the ViewPdfAddOn extension for assets when compiled.

• Latest version: 2.4
  • Tested: tested on App inventor 2 (n188), in companion (2.62u) and compiled modes on Android 10 and Android 12.
  • Released: 2022-05-19T23:00:00Z
  • Last updated: 2022-05-19T23:00:00Z
  • Built: using the RUSH Extension Builder by @shreyash

BLOCKS

Example USAGE:

• A clock component is used (set at 250ms) to ensure the progress dialog is shown before the pdf range is generated.
  • Developers could add a Previous button to show the previous pdf page range, or just call a single page.

Extension:
uk.co.metricrat.viewbigpdfV1.aix (19.1 KB)

Enjoy :smiley: , and all feedback, comments and questions welcome.

Available for use in any MIT AppInventor projects or competitions

4 Likes

There is quality problem while zooming in, cant read some texts
Also can i remoove or hide additional page number (page 1,page 2)
another problem is that when set to white background it displays a green shade ( not a big problem )

We are at the mercy of what the pdfrenderer can achieve, coupled with the standard of the source material. Practicalities of keeping the image output to a reasonable size also come into play, otherwise generating a "better image" of a page will slow down or crash the device, even for one page.

Set the colour of the page text to the same colour as the background.

Try a different white? Or this could be device related, or related to the original pdf.

1 Like