[FREE] Log Watcher : See logs of app over WIFI network

Log Watcher is an extension developed by Akshat Developer that facilitates the monitoring of logs generated by your Android application over a local Wi-Fi network. With Log Watcher, you can conveniently view logs from any device connected to the same Wi-Fi network, eliminating the need for the traditional LogCat method, which often involves complex steps.

Features

• Real-time Log Monitoring: Log Watcher provides real-time monitoring of logs generated by your Android application.
  • Wi-Fi Network Connectivity: Logs can be viewed over a local Wi-Fi network, making it accessible from any device connected to the same network.
  • Reduced Hassles: Eliminates the need for the traditional LogCat method, simplifying the process of monitoring logs during app development and testing.

Installation

To use the Log Watcher extension in your MIT App Inventor project, follow these steps:

1. Download the Log Watcher extension file from the provided source.
  2. Open your project.
  3. In the “Designer” tab, navigate to the “Extensions” section.
  4. Click on “Import Extension” and select the downloaded extension file.
  5. The Log Watcher extension will be imported and added to your project.

Usage

Once you have imported the Log Watcher extension into your MIT App Inventor project, you can use it to monitor logs generated by your Android application. Follow these steps to integrate Log Watcher into your project:

1. Drag and drop the Log Watcher component from the “Palette” onto the “Viewer” area in the “Designer” tab.
  2. In the “Blocks” tab, you can use the blocks provided by the Log Watcher extension to control and manage log monitoring.
  3. Use the provided blocks to start and stop log monitoring, as well as to access and display logs.

Demo

Example

Below is an example of how you can use the Log Watcher extension in your MIT App Inventor project:

1. The extension automatically updates the logs every 1 second, so make sure to refresh the website to see the latest logs.
  2. The log server will automatically start with the launch of the app and will automatically stop when the app is closed (not when minimised)

Version History

• v1.0 (March 10, 2024): Initial release of Log Watcher extension.

Download

Credits

Library used:-

4 Likes

Hi, does it use any library? Please list all the open source libraries used (web interface / libraries) to credit the authors.

1 Like

I have credited the library author.

1 Like

I'm currently testing the extension on Samsung Galaxy A54 running Android 14
I test using the apk file and get the following error message

Runtime Error
WiFiService: Neither user 10053 nor current process has android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE

Please add that permission in the manifest and rebuild the extension

EDIT: to be able to test, I now added my wifi extension into the test project, which provides that permission...

I successfully get the server url http://192.168.0.111:6969 back and I'm also able to see the log on a browser using my Android device

For a useful test however it would be nice to have also the ability to access the log not only from the Android device, but also from a computer on the same wifi network...

Taifun

It already does that. Just type the URL on any device having the same wifi network connected.

Really Loving your extension, helping me a lot lot in debugging.

1 Like