Free eBook extension

Ciao, today I share a little extension that allows you to find and read free ebooks.

GetEbooks
search: the book or author you are looking for.
orderBy: You can choose relevance or newest
maxResult: the max numer of books that you want, this number cannot be greater than 40
printType: You can choose books, magazines, or all

responseCode: the correct value is 200
response: the complete json response
title: a list with all books titles found
author: a list wiht all the books authors found
pageCount: a list with all the number pages of the books found
bookCover: a list with all the url books cover image found
urlBook : a list with all the url books found (where to read the books)
language: a list with all the books languages found
publishedDate: a list with all the published date of the books found

extension:
FreeEbooks.aix
(14.2 KB)

sample:
FreeEbookSample.aia (21.5 KB)

how the sample works:

I hope You find useful
Best Regards
Marco Perrone

7 Likes

So we will get a list of the book names? What about the contents if i want to read one of them?
And where this data come from? Do you use any database? Do you have got permission to do this?

urlBook probably returns url to read book.
See the last part of video.

2 Likes

Hi @Kevinkun,

So we will get a list of the book names?
Yes.

What about the contents if i want to read one of them?
urlBook is the link where to find the book to read.

And where this data come from?
books.google.com

Do you have got permission to do this?
The extension select ONLY the free eBooks or in another words FULL_PUBLIC_DOMAIN

Watch the video attached to see how the extension works, or better download the sample project

Best Regards
Marco

Cool Extension

1 Like

@Marco_Perrone Can you show the code used for the extension to work like in video since I'm unable to get the sample file to work.

Hi @Unknown, I tried now my sample project and it works.
What kind of problem do you have with the sample project.
Best Regards
Marco

@Marco_Perrone I'm new to this app kinda and don't know how to open the sample file.

A very good way to learn App Inventor is to read the free Inventor's Manual here in the AI2 free online eBook http://www.appinventor.org/book2 ... the links are at the bottom of the Web page. The book 'teaches' users how to program with AI2 blocks.
There is a free programming course here Course In A Box and the aia files for the projects in the book are here: App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps
How to do a lot of basic things with App Inventor are described here: How do you...? .

Also do the tutorials Our Tutorials! to learn the basics of App Inventor, then try something and follow the Top 5 Tips: How to learn App Inventor

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

@Marco_Perrone what are these connected to like a component or another thing since i can't find that as a variable or a component name
Screenshot 2024-04-21 101404

These look like textbox events
Taifun

These are used to show a list and hide a Vertical Arrangement, Position is a variable used to remember which Virtual screen I am in, so when the back button is pressed I return to the correct Virtual screen

Best Regards
Marco