Error when using Taifun Tools and USB Connection

Hello,

I used the Taifun Tools Extension in a previous project 1-2 years ago. In the past it worked well. But in my current project I get this runtime error message:

Error from Companion: java.lang.RuntimeException: invalid syntax in eval form: :138:1: caught exception in inliner for # - java.lang.RuntimeException: no such class: com.puravidaapps.TaifunTools gnu.bytecode.ObjectType.getReflectClass(ObjectType.java:179) gnu.bytecode.ClassType.getModifiers(ClassType.java:103) gnu.bytecode.ClassType.isInterface(ClassType.java:471) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.checkType(InlineCalls.java:56) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:49) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExpValue(InlineCalls.java:363) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExpValue(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitSetExp(ExpVisitor.java:114) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExp(InlineCalls.java:369) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.SetExp.visit(SetExp.java:406) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:55) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:272) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.BeginExp.visit(BeginExp.java:156) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:272) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.BeginExp.visit(BeginExp.java:156) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLetExp(InlineCalls.java:317) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLetExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LetExp.visit(LetExp.java:207) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildrenOnly(LambdaExp.java:1664) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildren(LambdaExp.java:1651) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitScopeExp(InlineCalls.java:279) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:349) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visit(LambdaExp.java:1640) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:55) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitAndUpdate(ExpVisitor.java:161) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitExps(ExpVisitor.java:175) gnu.expr.ApplyExp.visitArgs(ApplyExp.java:415) gnu.kawa.reflect.CompileInvoke.validateApplyInvoke(CompileInvoke.java:23) java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.maybeInline(InlineCalls.java:467) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:150) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.kawa.functions.CompilationHelpers.validateApplyToArgs(CompilationHelpers.java:66) java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.maybeInline(InlineCalls.java:467) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:150) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:119) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ApplyExp.visit(ApplyExp.java:410) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:55) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:162) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.kawa.functions.CompilationHelpers.validateApplyToArgs(CompilationHelpers.java:66) java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.maybeInline(InlineCalls.java:467) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:150) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:119) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ApplyExp.visit(ApplyExp.java:410) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:272) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.BeginExp.visit(BeginExp.java:156) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildrenOnly(LambdaExp.java:1664) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildren(LambdaExp.java:1651) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitScopeExp(InlineCalls.java:279) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:349) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitModuleExp(ExpVisitor.java:103) gnu.expr.ModuleExp.visit(ModuleExp.java:482) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.inlineCalls(InlineCalls.java:33) gnu.expr.Compilation.walkModule(Compilation.java:994) gnu.expr.Compilation.process(Compilation.java:1965) gnu.expr.ModuleInfo.loadByStages(ModuleInfo.java:330) gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule1(ModuleExp.java:238) gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule(ModuleExp.java:198) gnu.expr.Language.eval(Language.java:943) gnu.expr.Language.eval(Language.java:883) gnu.expr.Language.eval(Language.java:865) com.google.appinventor.components.runtime.util.AppInvHTTPD.serve(AppInvHTTPD.java:197) com.google.appinventor.components.runtime.util.NanoHTTPD$HTTPSession.run(NanoHTTPD.java:489) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1167) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:641) java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:764)

Here is my software version combination:

• TaifunTools version 21 ( Date Built: 2021-01-06)
  • App Inventor Built: September 4 2023 Version: nb194b
  • Companion: 2.68u <-- also tried 2.51au, which worked in the past
  • AI Starter Version: 30.265.0

Hardware tried:

• Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab A8

The problem occurs, when I'm using the extension in combination with the companion app and USB connection. In the moment I add the extension to my project, the error message occurs and my screen on the tablet stays blank white. When I delete it from the project, the app works as before.

Curiously it works fine, when I download my project as a apk and install it on the tablet. Then the extension works without any problems.

So has anyone a glue what's the reason for that error message, when I try to use the USB Connection and the extension?

I am not sure what's more important to you.
Apk or live test?

Definitely live testing

Reimport extension.
Or,
Reload page.

I imported the extension to several and even new/blank projects, without any code in the last days. But the result was still the same.

It looks like the no such class error after importing an extension more frequently (?) appears while being connected via USB...

See also Search results for 'Import extension usb' - MIT App Inventor Community

@ewpatton probably it makes sense to investigate, why this happens?

My general advice usually is

How to avoid runtime errors with the companion app

1. After importing an extension, please restart the companion app.
  2. If you like to use an extension on a different screen, in Screen1 additionally drag the extension into the working area.

While starting the companion app, all necessary assets and also the imported extensions of your project will be copied to your device. So in case the no such class error shows up, the extension code to run the extension is not available on your device. Without that code the companion app is not able to execute methods from the extension.

In case restarting the companion app does not work for you after trying several times, then as it looks like the only way for you to test you app will be after building it using the apk file.

Taifun

Thanks Taifun for your answer. I was quite busy with another project in the last days and had no time to investigate this case further. But I found out, that live testing works over Wifi.

In most cases I have to use the USB connection, because there is no wifi connection available for me. So I have to find a way how to arrange with the not working USB connection.

I don't think that the problem only arises with Taifun's extension, but generally with extensions.
Have you also tried other extensions?

@ Anke: Sorry I haven't used any other extensions than the one from Taifun yet