Emulator won't start

I'm using a MAC. Can't get the Emulator to start. Just keep getting the message "Starting the Android Emulator. Please wait; this may take a minute or two". I have wasted literally hours waiting for the 'minute or two'. I've tried Chrome, Firefox, Safari. All the same. Completely fed up. If I can't open it on my own computer, how can I possibly do this with my students? This is 2022 - it ought to be completely user-friendly.

2 Likes

maybe these links will help-

1. Installing and Running the Emulator in AI2 - App Inventor … (mit.edu)

2. Your Browser Might Not Be … (mit.edu)

Maybe try Microsoft Edge

They are totally unhelpful. I've tried them several times.

2 Likes

Is this a M1 Mac? See this post Emulator on Macs with Apple Silicon - #4 by ewpatton . It may address your concerns. or this one Why don't the emulator work on Mac?

2 Likes

What emulator are you using ?

我也是没办法用模拟器,win10系统,不知用的系统网址对不对?http://app.gzjkw.net/login/
点模拟器就一直是等待一两分钟,然后跳出对话框: aiStarter助手程序未运行,
是否需要[帮助],明明是开了aiStarter了呀,就是没反应。我用的是google浏览器

I'm just using an Apple Mac laptop (I don't know what an M1 is)

1 Like

@Aydin,

You can send us information about your hardware by holding the Alt/Opt key, clicking the Apple menu in the top left, and then selecting System Information (should be the first option). This will launch the System Information app. You can save a copy via the File > Save... (⌘S) menu item and email it to me at ewpatton@mit.edu.

3 Likes

Does that mean the Option key?

2 Likes

I know M1 is in MacBook Air,Pro M1 chip is simply a proccessor that made is by apple it is simillary a very fast chip

and in iPad Pro also...

The emulator package we publish targets the x86 family of chips and won't work on the new M1 Apple machines.

That said, there is a workaround. The aiStarter program installed as part of our emulator package will talk to any running Android emulator. Therefore, if you install Android Studio and install its M1 emulator, you can have App Inventor use that instead of the built-in version that targets x86. The emulator just needs to be running and you'll need to install the emulator APK, which you can download from here: http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/companions/Emulator.apk

You can drag and drop the APK into the emulator window to install it.

1 Like