Companion issues if using extensions (on Android 13)

I want to use the SAF version 1.2 (2022-08-28) in an empty project.
When connecting via USB, the following error message appears:

Error from Companion: java.lang.RuntimeException: invalid syntax in eval form: :12:1: caught exception in inliner for # - java.lang.RuntimeException: no such class: com.sunny.saf.SAF gnu.bytecode.ObjectType.getReflectClass(ObjectType.java:179) gnu.bytecode.ClassType.getModifiers(ClassType.java:103) gnu.bytecode.ClassType.isInterface(ClassType.java:471) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.checkType(InlineCalls.java:56) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:49) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExpValue(InlineCalls.java:363) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExpValue(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitSetExp(ExpVisitor.java:114) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExp(InlineCalls.java:369) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitSetExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.SetExp.visit(SetExp.java:406) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:55) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:272) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.BeginExp.visit(BeginExp.java:156) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:272) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.BeginExp.visit(BeginExp.java:156) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLetExp(InlineCalls.java:317) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLetExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LetExp.visit(LetExp.java:207) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildrenOnly(LambdaExp.java:1664) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildren(LambdaExp.java:1651) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitScopeExp(InlineCalls.java:279) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:349) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visit(LambdaExp.java:1640) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:55) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitAndUpdate(ExpVisitor.java:161) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitExps(ExpVisitor.java:175) gnu.expr.ApplyExp.visitArgs(ApplyExp.java:415) gnu.kawa.reflect.CompileInvoke.validateApplyInvoke(CompileInvoke.java:23) java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.maybeInline(InlineCalls.java:467) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:150) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.kawa.functions.CompilationHelpers.validateApplyToArgs(CompilationHelpers.java:66) java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.maybeInline(InlineCalls.java:467) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:150) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:119) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ApplyExp.visit(ApplyExp.java:410) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:55) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:162) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.kawa.functions.CompilationHelpers.validateApplyToArgs(CompilationHelpers.java:66) java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.maybeInline(InlineCalls.java:467) gnu.expr.QuoteExp.validateApply(QuoteExp.java:150) gnu.expr.ReferenceExp.validateApply(ReferenceExp.java:191) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:119) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitApplyExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ApplyExp.visit(ApplyExp.java:410) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:272) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitBeginExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.BeginExp.visit(BeginExp.java:156) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildrenOnly(LambdaExp.java:1664) gnu.expr.LambdaExp.visitChildren(LambdaExp.java:1651) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitScopeExp(InlineCalls.java:279) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:349) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visitLambdaExp(InlineCalls.java:28) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visitModuleExp(ExpVisitor.java:103) gnu.expr.ModuleExp.visit(ModuleExp.java:482) gnu.expr.ExpVisitor.visit(ExpVisitor.java:51) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.visit(InlineCalls.java:46) gnu.expr.InlineCalls.inlineCalls(InlineCalls.java:33) gnu.expr.Compilation.walkModule(Compilation.java:994) gnu.expr.Compilation.process(Compilation.java:1965) gnu.expr.ModuleInfo.loadByStages(ModuleInfo.java:330) gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule1(ModuleExp.java:238) gnu.expr.ModuleExp.evalModule(ModuleExp.java:198) gnu.expr.Language.eval(Language.java:943) gnu.expr.Language.eval(Language.java:883) gnu.expr.Language.eval(Language.java:865) com.google.appinventor.components.runtime.util.AppInvHTTPD.serve(AppInvHTTPD.java:197) com.google.appinventor.components.runtime.util.NanoHTTPD$HTTPSession.run(NanoHTTPD.java:489) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1137) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:637) java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1012)

Is it my PC and smartphone or the extension SAF?

Greeting Frank

Disconnect and then connect, it'll work.

I've tried several times (Reset Connection).
The result is still the error message (see above).
Without the extension SAF and only with a button it works via USB.

Test123.aia (31.9 KB)

I don't have idea about USB connection but I just have tested an alpha version of extension using Companion without any issue. So no issue from extension side.

Taifun

No problems here with USB connection (and of course neither with Companion / WiFi).

Thank you Anke for testing my aia file.
So it must be due to my PC and mobile phone configuration.
But where is the mistake?

My configuration:

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Firefox Browser (109.0.1)
  • Software MIT_App_Inventor_Tools_2.3.0_win_setup.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\AppInventor\aiStarter.exe
  • Smartphone XIAOMI 11 Lite 5G with Android 13

Problem:

• USB connection with error message see above
  • AI Companion doesn't work either, stops loading extensions

bright spot:
-The generated apk file works.

Have the problem with another extension can also adjust. Is somehow because of my configuration.

Just where exactly?

@vknow360
It's not because of your extension SAF, sorry for that.

Is it better if I start a new thread for this?

Greetings Frank

It's alright.
It is common issue actually, you can try re-installing companion if problem persists.
It is always suggested to use a real device for testing.

I use a real device (XIAOMI 11 Lite 5G) with Android 13.
MIT App Inventor 2 Version 2.65u installed.

I'll try to reinstall companion.

Reinstalling the Companion App did not bring any improvement.
The only way that works for me is to create the apk file.
Unfortunately not very cheap for tests.

Is there another way to further localize the error?

Frank

Test in a different project, maybe current project is corrupted.

I tried it with different projects.
It works without an extension.
As soon as I move an extension to the mobile image in the designer, the AI ​​companion and USB connection crashes.

Companion not working either?

Did you try AI2Offline?

I will test the offline version and then report.

@Frank-HRO And again:

Companion doesn't work either.
Either it stops at 95% or the same error message appears.

Tested with AI2Offline and it works there.
There I use version 4.64 and the latest "AI2 Offline Companion.apk"

So there seems to be a problem with MIT Appinventor after all.
Apparently not for all users.

I moved your question / thread into a new topic (as it is not related to SAF).
Maybe you want to modify the topic.

Thanks Anke.

That's a good idea.

Did you test it on another device?