Android 11 issue related to cordova

Hi,

Basically from cordova developer, I'm facing one issue from google playstore.
Earlier my app sdk trageted to 29 and now i changed it to 30 after that my app got rejected from playstore.

The issue i posted link : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68139593/app-update-constantly-rejected-by-playstore-for-manage-external-storage-permissi

My Androidmanifest file:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/>
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" android:maxSdkVersion="28" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/>

build.gradle file

project.ext {
defaultBuildToolsVersion="30.0.3" //String
defaultMinSdkVersion=22 //Integer - Minimum requirement is Android 5.1
defaultTargetSdkVersion=30//Integer - We ALWAYS target the latest by default
defaultCompileSdkVersion=30 //Integer - We ALWAYS compile with the latest by default
}
please let me know to resolve the issue.

Thank you in advance.

This permission is only granted by Google if it is necessary for the core functionality of the app.
Why do you need it?

Hi Mam,

If i not mention it then how it will download in Android 11 device.

android.permission.MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

Without this permission also app got rejected.

You can download files to the ASD or one of the Shared folder on Android 11+.

See also here:

1 Like

Hi Mam,

If I add below code in manifest and gradle file google will not reject my app rit ?

App code level for android 11 device file download I will root to app directory.

AndroidManifest file:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" android:maxSdkVersion="28" />

build.gradle file

project.ext {
defaultCompileSdkVersion=30 //Integer - We ALWAYS compile with the latest by default
}

What is your problem? Or what exactly should be achieved?

You must target Android 11 (targetSdkVersion = 30), otherwise your app is not accepted by Google (the Play Store).

1 Like

My App SDK is targeted to 30 and app getting rejected from playstore. I'm not getting any solution.

gradle file sdk version as below :

project.ext {
}

Manifest file will be as below

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_CALENDAR" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_CALENDAR" />
   <!-- <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />-->
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_MEDIA_LOCATION" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.CAMERA" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_CONTACTS" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" />
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.location.gps" />
    <uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x00020000" android:required="true" />
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.location" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.DELETE_CACHE_FILES" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.BLUETOOTH" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.VIBRATE" />

Playstore reported issue description.

Publishing Status App Status: Rejected

Your app has been rejected and wasn't published due to a policy violation. If you submitted an update, the previous version of your app is still available on Google Play.

Issue: Access to device storage not required

The feature you identified does not require unrestricted access to device storage. There are other privacy friendly options for accessing files in shared storage, such as using the system file picker, or, depending on the use case, you can follow the recommendations for receiving data from other apps listed here.

Please update your app so that the feature uses a privacy friendly alternative and remove All Files Access (MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE) permission.

Policy: All Files Access Permission

Files and directory attributes on a user's device are regarded as personal and sensitive user data subject to the Personal and Sensitive Information policy and the following requirements:

Apps should only request access to device storage which is critical for the app to function, and may not request access to device storage on behalf of any third-party for any purpose that is unrelated to critical user-facing app functionality. Android devices running Android "R" (Android 11) or later, will require the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission in order to manage access in shared storage. All apps that target R or later and request broad access to shared storage ("All files access") must successfully pass an appropriate access review prior to publishing. Apps allowed to use this permission must clearly prompt users to enable "All files access" for their app under "Special app access" settings. For more information on the R requirements, please see this help article.

Read more about Use of All Files Access Permission See Android storage use cases and best practices and how to open files using storage access framework Address this issue in the Play Console. Issue: Not a core feature

The feature you identified that is dependent on this permission does not appear to be critical to the core functionality of your app.

Core functionality is defined as the main purpose of the app. Without this core functionality, the app is "broken" or rendered unusable. The core functionality, as well as any core features that comprise this core functionality, must all be prominently documented and promoted in the app's description.

Please update your app so that the feature does not use this permission or ensure that the core functionality is prominently documented and promoted in the app's description and resubmit your app on Play Developer console.

Files and directory attributes on a user's device are regarded as personal and sensitive user data subject to the Personal and Sensitive Information policy and the following requirements:

Apps should only request access to device storage which is critical for the app to function, and may not request access to device storage on behalf of any third-party for any purpose that is unrelated to critical user-facing app functionality. Android devices running Android "R" (Android 11) or later, will require the MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission in order to manage access in shared storage. All apps that target R or later and request broad access to shared storage ("All files access") must successfully pass an appropriate access review prior to publishing. Apps allowed to use this permission must clearly prompt users to enable "All files access" for their app under "Special app access" settings. For more information on the R requirements, please see this help article.

Read more about Use of All Files Access Permission See Android storage use cases and best practices Address this issue in the Play Console.
Issue: Need to use Media Store API

You have requested access to All Files Access permission but it appears that your app's core feature requires access to only Media Files. With the MediaStore API, apps can contribute and access media that's available on an external storage volume without the need for the access all files permission.

Please update your app so that the feature uses Media Store APIs and remove All Files Access (MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE) permission.

Read more about Use of All Files Access Permission See Android storage use cases and best practices and how to access media files from shared storage Address this issue in the Play Console.

Are you using App Inventor?

No , I'm not using App Inventor.

This is the App Inventor community for questions about the use of App Inventor.

2 Likes

Apparently you've already adjusted the Manifest.

1 Like

which means, you should ask in the cordova community
thread closed

Taifun

1 Like